Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

starting trouble, again.

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  gixxerpower 
#1 ·
MY bike has just had a full service etc, it has been running fine up till today.

I get it out and it starts up straight away. i leave it running on the first choke notch while i was putting my helmet on.

Then , it just cut out and i can not get it to start again.

It has a full tank of fuel, the filters are not bloked. All the plugs are ok. When i checked the plugs they all have a really good spark but when they are in the bike they just get coated in unburnt fuel when i try to start it.jump starting has not helped either. it just backfires.

Does anyone have any ideas?
i've spent all morning working on the bag of shit and its realy starting to piss me off

p.s yes the fuel tap is on!

[ 03-18-2002, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: gixxerpower ]

See less See more
#4 ·
A problem that I have had in the past is:
Clutch lever switch bad - to check just unplug the switch from the harness and plug the harness wires together.
Sidestand switch - Agian just unplug and plug the harness wires together.
Also my Pingle will over fill the carbs if I leave it on with the bike off due to its higher flow the floats do not seal and fuel tricles past the carbs. The bike would stall out while idling and then would not restart as the bike was flooded. This would also happen while cranking with the pecock on. Now I just turn it on for 15 seconds to fill the bowls, then turn it off start the bike and then open the petcock halfway. when the bike is warmedup and ready to go I turn it on all the way.
Bones

PS I'm running 38 RS Flatslides.

#5 ·
I have a 90 Gsxr 750 with an Orient Express 907. I am running 38mil Smoothbores on it. When I got it, I had some of the same problems you are having with starting and running issues. I thought it was a carb problem, then I thought it was coils, then plugs, nothing worked out for me either. I saw the cluth swith idea but the bike shouldnt even turn over if that is the deal. So, something to check that turned out to be my problem is plug wires. Also timing, but two of my wires had gone bad and they were arcing in to the side of the head. Therefore giving good spark when I pulled theplugs to check them, but trying to start the bike on 2 cylinders. Just a thought. Good Luck - Jim

#8 ·
Cheers Jim.

I have spent all day on it today. I have checked all the timeing/signal generater pickup etc and it is all bang on.

I think you may be right about the HT leads as I was messing with them I got a right good electric shock!!

Now i have got it running on 3 cylinders so i will get some new HT lead tommorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.