Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, not sure what the hell is going on but here are the symptoms. It's been getting a tad worse lately too

When I go to start the bike for the first time. You turn on the key... hear the fuel pump crank. Go to start. The starter turns over fine. but doesn't fire.

So to get it to start..... you turn key off and back on. Sometimes it works on the 2nd try. Other times you have to switch it back and forth more times. This morning it took over 5x tries!!!!

It's beginning to piss me off. Any ideas on what might be occuring??

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea. It got REALLY bad on Friday night.

Of course.. I was at RaceLegal trying to do drags and the F'N thing starts acting up. Temp was high. around 210

I almost wore out my battery trying to get it started. After running tha battery till where it wouldn't turn it over(swith on, start, swtich off, repeat)
I decided to push start it.

I'm really confused now though based on what happened.

So I have my brother push. Tried choke, no chock, throttle, no throttle... switch on then off.... as pushing, etc. Every possible combo you can think of!!!!! The bike will NOT fire. We push it around for a while until i get PISSED!!. Then I decide to cool off before I kick the thing on to the ground.

Wait 20 minutes. Decide to try it one more time. This time i open throttle completely.. then turn on switch... then started. VROOOOOM fired right up.

So then i run some more drags. It has it's intermittent problem.. but nothing a switch or two didn't remedy.

But then I get to thinking. It's a 97. So it still has carbs. Doesn't the fuel pump just fill up the float bowls?? I mean, if there is fuel in the float bowls... shouldn't pushing the damn thing at least get it to fire????? I mean maybe not start and run.. but at least fire??

How exactly does the fuel pump function in this case??? Could it be ignition related??

Is it easy to replace the fuel pump??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.