Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been doing the MMA classes at my Combat center however i haven't been able to go due to the fact that i have a 3 1/2 month old baby at home so it's been hard for me to get to the gym and train. However there is a BJJ class at the gym i train that have classes a bit earlier in the evenings right after i get off of work which works better with my home schedule, plus i wanted to focus more on one style before trying to incorporate many at once.

My questions are for those who have been doing BJJ for a while is what are the etiquette's of a new student like myself? I am going in obviously with an open mind and hoping to learn a lot and gaining some serious fitness and BJJ knowledge. Do i need to buy more then 1 gi? I don't really need anything to fancy as this will be used for training only and if and when i decide to try my skills out in a tournament then i will buy a nicer gi. Also since i am starting out as a White Belt does that mean i have to provide my own belt or is this something presented to me by the school when i start my classes? Last time i even wore a Martial Art Gi was when i was 9 years old in Tae Kwon do. It's been a while so i really don't know the customary etiquette's of wearing the white belt off the bat.

Any help is appreciated thanks guys.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Usually the belt comes with the gi. You could buy more than one if you are not going to spend alot on one. but if you buy only one, make sure to wash it pretty often. If you are not rolling alot you wont need to wash as often, but be a good judge of dirtyness... When you are ready for a quality gi, I would recommend HCK or Atama. But there are others that are good too.

One thing I recommend is RELAX!!! There is nothing worse than going with a new guy who is going all out and knows nothing. If you are rolling with an experienced guy, just relax a bit. Breath. If you go nuts and accidently hurt someone, you may end up going home more sore than you need too. LOL

I have to go train right now, but I will tell you more later.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey i dont swing like that....(now what do i mean lol) BJJ

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Your skipping the MMA to avoid the cardio part of training:shifty jk

I know a few guys who do that at our class. They only come for BJJ AFTER all the jumproping, pushups, situps, supermans, kickboxing, ect..... is complete. Try and keep up your cardio, you won't last 1 round without it.

Being new, you may learn alot as an Uki, or a person he will demonstrate moves on. To be a good Uki, you have to relax, and not resist to much, even if it feels unnatural.

·
Registered
793 Posts
"I know a few guys who do that at our class. They only come for BJJ AFTER all the jumproping, pushups, situps, supermans, kickboxing, ect..... is complete. Try and keep up your cardio, you won't last 1 round without it."

ha.. I was one of those guys until I gassed in overtime at a tournament and lost to somebody with less skills than I. To gas-out is a friggin' horrible feeling and I never want to be there again. cardio is EQUALLY as important as the submissions.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Usually the belt comes with the gi. You could buy more than one if you are not going to spend alot on one. but if you buy only one, make sure to wash it pretty often. If you are not rolling alot you wont need to wash as often, but be a good judge of dirtyness... When you are ready for a quality gi, I would recommend HCK or Atama. But there are others that are good too.

One thing I recommend is RELAX!!! There is nothing worse than going with a new guy who is going all out and knows nothing. If you are rolling with an experienced guy, just relax a bit. Breath. If you go nuts and accidently hurt someone, you may end up going home more sore than you need too. LOL

I have to go train right now, but I will tell you more later.
I agree with the relax part, i was gassed my first day of MMA when i started about a month ago. I started building my cardio thereafter and was able to atleast keep up with the class the next week. I am still searching for a simple BJJ gi because i really don't want to buy a fancy looking gi, i don't need to have the patches or anything of that nature, i just want a decent or good gi that will take the punishment of the classes. If and when i decide that i have trained a good amount of time to enter a tournament then i will buy a nice competition gi. Otherwise a standard white/no patch gi is fine with me. I found an adidas gi which is pretty standard and i believe i found an HCK standard white for around 60-69 dollars. I know you mentioned the HCK, but how about the adidas, what is your opinion on those brand gi's

Your skipping the MMA to avoid the cardio part of training:shifty jk

I know a few guys who do that at our class. They only come for BJJ AFTER all the jumproping, pushups, situps, supermans, kickboxing, ect..... is complete. Try and keep up your cardio, you won't last 1 round without it.

Being new, you may learn alot as an Uki, or a person he will demonstrate moves on. To be a good Uki, you have to relax, and not resist to much, even if it feels unnatural.
I'm not necessarily skipping the MMA to avoid cardio. All i have been doing is working on my cardio for the last month, i just don't have the scheduled time to take the MMA classes due to me having a baby at home. I didn't want to give up on MMA so i figured i take up BJJ because there is something very appealing about BJJ and all the intricate submissions that require a lot of time, patience, and practice to be formidable on the mats. Plus i used to wrestle in high school so i have that mentality of wanting to out-think and out-move an opponent in the quickest and most efficient manner.

Also what do you mean Uki?

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
[QUOTE

Also what do you mean Uki?[/QUOTE]

An Uki is whoever the instructor/demonstrator uses to demonstrate different moves to the rest of the class

·
Registered
781 Posts
Uki is a term used traditionally in Judo. You don't hear that much in BJJ unless the coach has some experience in Judo also. Which is a great thing.

As far as the Gi goes, my first recommendation is HCK. Howard Liu is the owner and I have known him for a long time. More as a business relationship, but have talked to him some at tournements along time ago. He used to give his personal cell number when he first started doing business and when I would call him he was always very polite and would help with anything I needed. I still have that number but dont want to give it out just in case he uses a different one for business now. But the service I got from him is why I always buy from his and recommend to everyone.

The gi itself is great quality. There are alot of gi's that are made like his now, but at the time he first started he was an originator. In particular the thick, stiff, heavy duty collar (which makes it more difficult to be choked by) and the extra spine material runnig down the back of the gi. They used to be called "cheater gi's" because of how stiff the collar was made. haha I would recommend the single or even the summer gi if they still make it. I have the double, and I sometimes regret it in competition but it does look nice.

I think Atama has a sale right now so check them out too. I don't know abou the Adidas gi. Some guys at my school have them, but I couldn't make a qualified statement on them at all.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually just ordered 2 Fuji Gi's on line today, for a total of 140 with shipping already included. The cool thing is that when i ordered the gi's online 5 min later i received a call from the company that i ordered from and said that the gi's didn't come with a belt so he gave me a discount on the white belts valued at 30 dollars (can't remember which brand) but i got it for 14 dollars. so all in all $154 for the belt and 2 gi's (1 white/1 blue)

I figured i really don't want to invest in such expensive gi's till after i put some time in learning the BJJ art. Maybe as a reward if i get decent enough to move up in the ranks then i will consider getting a higher quality gi. But for now i just want to learn as much as i can and to be able to utilize my training before looking like i know what i am doing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another question, is does wearing a protective cup hinder your ability to move or do you end up getting used to it. I read that the best way to wear it is wear compression shorts first then were the cup in the jock strap over the compression shorts to make sure that they don't pinch in any manner. or they wear the cup in the jock strap, and then wear the compression shorts over the jock strap. But then again, i've also read that people just wear them under their compression shorts in the front pocket of the shorts and that's it.

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Another question, is does wearing a protective cup hinder your ability to move or do you end up getting used to it. I read that the best way to wear it is wear compression shorts first then were the cup in the jock strap over the compression shorts to make sure that they don't pinch in any manner. or they wear the cup in the jock strap, and then wear the compression shorts over the jock strap. But then again, i've also read that people just wear them under their compression shorts in the front pocket of the shorts and that's it.
You need to find whats comfortable to you. You forget its even there after a while.

·
Banned
79 Posts
just have fun and take you time, average black belt is probably 6-10 years anyways, so just have fun, unless you are BJ penn and can get it in 3 yrs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I thought I would revisit this thread and give you an update.

I have since still been training in BJJ. Sometimes i get in twice a week other times only once a week. Working in govt contracting often keeps me in late hours so I don't get a chance to roll. However I do go to the gym every day for an hour. I work on my shrimping , upa's, and other exercises to keep my moving and to keep my body fresh with muscle memory on the movements I have learned. But nonetheless a week doesn't go by with out me at least doing one class.

The first day - I was there we did warm ups for about 15 mins. The next 30 min we do drilling. Each drill only consist of 2 moves. We may work on 2 different types of sweeps, escapes, guard passing etc etc. when we do our drilling we do them over and over again. We only stick to doing 2 moves as everyone can learn it efficiently and accurately. We drill it step by step, and then we do it with slight resistance, and then we go into a heavier resistance roll utilizing what we learned. The last 15 min is spent rolling with our partners. We will go about 2 min rounds and switch partners. I didn't really roll on the first day because I really didn't know what to do so I just watched and asked questions.

Present day- The class still goes through the same course with new faces. I am not the newbie and I have learned not to muscle out of any situation. I originally panicked the first time I rolled. I got gassed and my partner was simply on top of me in mount lol. But now I can roll, get myself caught in a RNC, and not tap but to defensively cover my neck and to find escapes without tapping. I guess I learned the part of being patient and finding the escapes in the submission I am in without exerting much force.

I am in that phase now where I am trying to fit a game plan in how my body reacts and how it moves. Being that I am 5'5" a stocky /built 180 lbs I am trying to only use the techniques that work best for me and using less of what wont work for me (e.g. being that i have shorter legs i have to learn how to utilize an open/half/butterfly guard. The downside to this is that people can pass it fairly easily if I am not careful with my positioning. However I have to learn to be quicker in shrimping out or with my sweeps so I can go from guard to mount.)

I have also bought one of those puzzle mats from Dicks Sporting good. It is only half inch thick, but I only need to roll at home and its not like I am doing any take downs so it serves its purpose quite well. I got my brother in law to roll with me one time and he seemed to enjoy it because he is an active person and even though we rolled for about 15-20 mins, he had sweat more then he would've had if we weight trained at home for 40 mins. Not only that he I am hoping that he really gets into it cause then I will always have a rolling partner to roll with on the weekends, and hopefully if he gets into it he can take the class with me which will allow me to get to class more often.

·
Registered
781 Posts
It sounds like you are progressing pretty much at the normal pace. Your class' structure is pretty consistent with most BJJ schools. I know it gets frustrating when you are the new guy. If you are a big new guy, you get frustrated because when you roll with the small experienced guys, you get tapped out. If you are a small new guy, you get tapped out by just about everyone...hahha But the natural progression to BJJ is this. You will learn defense first. Cause thats all you will be doing. Once you learn alot of defense then your offense will start developing. Once you get some offense, then your reversals, sweeps, and set ups will come.

But like i said earlier, its tough being the new guy cause everyone there is better and you just keep getting tapped out. Its hard to know if you have learned anything. But give it a good 6 months, and when someone else is the new guy you will see how much you have learned.

When you roll with better people, you will usually be learning your defense better. When you roll with guys you are better than, you can work on your offense and set ups.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But the natural progression to BJJ is this. You will learn defense first. Cause thats all you will be doing. Once you learn alot of defense then your offense will start developing. Once you get some offense, then your reversals, sweeps, and set ups will come.
I agree for sure. I am getting caught left and right however I am not spazzing out or trying to muscle out of it submissions. A lot of it is just trying not to get myself in those positions to begin with and trying to just gain dominate position..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts