Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms of a failing starter motor ?

Low-down : MY bike starts, but it takes more cranks b4 it catches. And it's almost struggling to start when hot [slow cranks].

- New plugs
- New battery
- Checked connections, all good
- Recharge system is average.

Me thinks the starter motor is worn. And i swear i remember someone posting about changing their starter motor and their problems went away.

SRAD 750's starter motor is diff to the 600's isnt it ???

KaTz

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
from what i heard, a starter that is going up will not start (or be VERY hard to start)when hot, and once the engine is cooled down, it will. A hotter engine is harder to start......

sounds familiar????

scott

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yea I posted this.. My starter had like 35K miles on it and it would not crank when hot... It would crank fine when cold...
I did not get a 750 starter (They are different) cause I had a 600 starter that near brand new. It still does crank a bit slow sometimes when hot, but it starts up everytime. If I would have put a 750 starter I bet it would start everytime.

You sound like you have the same problem I did and it was my starter.

John

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the replies

Yea, when hot [say within 5 mins after shuting off bike], she'll start. But the process of starting is nothing short of pathetic.

She'll start everytime cold. But not as quickly and as convincingly as other bikes.

So yep, i reckon we've found the weakest link

John : So u've got a 600 starter on your 750. But from what u said, the 600's are the bad ones, while the 750 starter motors are the good ones, relatively.

I take it that the 600's and 750's starter motors are compatible ?
Any specific yr model's i should look for ? Obviously the later the model, the newer the starter motor.

KaTz

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I have a starter from a 00 600 in mine.. It had 4500 miles on it when I got it.. (I know this cause it is off the bike my friend crashed) It does start the motor, but when the motor is about 220deg it will crank slow... But it starts everytime.. NOW. The part number from the 750 and the 600 are different so since they fit for each other, I would have to guess there is a different amount of cranking power from them.

John

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for your help

The symptoms on my bike is almost exact. It'll crank when the engine is hot, but it's very very slow. IT seems like the whole electrical system is struggling to get it started.

U reckon a 750 starter motor would benefit my bike than a 600 starter motor ??

KaTz

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the starter is serviceable.....if you're sure the brushes are the culprit, you can replace the brush assembly. but then again, you may be able to find another starter for not much more money.

you could also try taking the starter to a local generator shop.

[ 07-25-2002, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx Jeff

I dont have the minimum length for the brushes

But the symtoms are pointing to that direction.

IT happened today. I got off the bike for about 10mins and when i came back it'll crank, but it just wont start. Had to bump start it.

Later today, when i started it after work [4hrs of cooling time], it'll start up easily, as if there's absolutely nothing wrong with it

KaTz

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
yep my bike used to crank slow when hot and after a few months it wouldnt start at all when hot.

I got a used starter from a racer off this board, for $23, fixed it. bike starts all the time now, whether its ice cold or on fire

the starter could be serviced, try a local place maybe if you cant find a replacement starter. best guess is to call the local wrecker, and see if you can score one... its really easy to remove/install

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
It doesnt really matter... the 600 starters start the 600s fine...
If you can get a new one... from like a 00 600.. it was a updated part...

With mine. I was going to change the brushes but it didnt cost anything for the starter I have now.. so... And also, the bushing in the front of the starter (where the gear is) was all worn down... so it was not worth it to me...

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been chasing a slow/no crank issue when hot all summer on my '99 750. I've replaced the battery and the starter and neither worked. I would recommend getting your starter checked out before spending money on another like I did and not fixing the problem. If you do need one, I have one. A starter swap worked for these guys, but I've got some other issue going on. Mine will start fine cold, but any temp over about 100 F and it cranks real slow or not at all. Let it sit a couple hours and it cranks fine. One thing I found was a melted electrical connector between the alternator and the regulator/rectifier. From posts on here, that is common. Just mentioning it since you said your charging system is marginal. I've got one or two more things to try. I'll post if/when I ever figure this out.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by Craig:
Mine will start fine cold, but any temp over about 100 F and it cranks real slow or not at all. Let it sit a couple hours and it cranks fine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">bad wiring from the battery to starter is a possibility.......you can test this by running a (thick) jumper cable from the positive battery terminal and touching it to the terminal on the starter. if it cranks strong when the bike is hot, then the problem lies somewhere in the wiring that goes from battery to starter.

[ 07-26-2002, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If you are cranking slow at 100*F then I would not look at the starter.. Do you have a manual CCT?? if so it might be to tight...

Also like Jeff said jump a wire from the batt to the starter..

I replaced my Batt, starter relay, rectifire (sp) and the starter before I found out it was the starter... lol

John

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
yah I was clueless as to what prevented my bike from cranking when hot before... jeff I remember helped a lot. I found no melting in the wiring to the rectifier, where exactly did you see this ?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
The melting wires are on the left side of the bike under the riders leg. There is a large black plug and it starts to melt... I just hard wired it with some solder and have had no problems since..

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also hard wired around that plug and it seems to have fixed that problem.

I found there was no gasket between the covers over the starter gear/clutch assembly and the block. Since the covers have bearing surfaces for the gears, I'm thinking the clearances may not be sufficient w/out the gaskets and causes it all to bind when the metal gets hot. Gaskets are on order and should be in today. If so, i'll try that tomorrow and see. Also questioning why the gaskets are not therein the first place.

I did try running the starter wire directly to the batt (bypass relay) with no luck. Haven't tried a jumper over the whole system.

I don't think the CCT is a manual one. I don't know if it has ever been changed -- just bought the bike last fall. I wasn't sure if the CCT would be temp dependent and from posts it seems like there should be a very noticable noise if there is a CCT issue. I need to dig into that issue too.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
if the CCT is to tight and it gets hot it will expand a bit and then it COULD cause the motor to crank slow...

But I bet it is the gasket missing from the cover..

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put the gaskets on yesterday, and I think it fixed the problem. It's been raining so not much ride time. Tried it out once yesterday and about 3 today all at temps over 100 and it turned over great each time. Amazing how overlooking one detail can cause such problems. Now I just wonder why somebody had those covers off in the first place. At least I'm lovin riding again!! Thanks for the help and ideas along the way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts