Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Finally getting the old girls back together.
The starter has been rebuilt by myself and the starter clutch is new.
The battery is connected correctly.
But to my way of thinking.....isn't it turning the wrong direction ???

I have no idea what's going on ???

Anybody...anything ???

Loach
:eek

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you somehow wired the starter motor up in reverse? It's a dc motor so will spin in either direction depending on polarity.
The crank needs to turn in the other direction so the gear is not engaging the starter clutch.

Check the starter motor wiring first, if you turn the starter gear in the other direction it should engage the starter clutch and not spin without a lot of effort

·
Registered
286 Posts
You do know them starter motors look the same but depending on the year of production of the Gixxer may turn in different directions as some models have additional gear in the middle and need different direction starting motor!
You said it was re-built, if You bought brush holder assy not being 31132-27A01 part number or at least with the same brushes connection which affects what way the rotor will turn that might be your problem.
Usually You connect 1 wire (+) and the body gets the earth so I don't think You connected it wrong...
I hope it may help :)

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Wrong way, the starter clutch is spinning but not the crank cos it's a one way sprang system. Change polarity

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wrong way, the starter clutch is spinning but not the crank cos it's a one way sprang system. Change polarity
As I said, if turns wrong way round brush holder assy is wrong, not being 31132-27A01 part number, You need to change that part as You cannot change polarity any different way as the starter body is the minus and you connect plus wire to it...
:)

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again all,

Solved the problem.

I rotated the casing North / South and disaster averted, now spinning the correct direction.

Who'd of thought it could be reassembled incorrectly.

Thanks to all

Loach

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts