Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went out for my first "real" ride since getting the bike together. Still have some issues with the carbs but it stalled one time and I hit the starter button and ziiiing. It was just spinning. I pushed started it and rode home. Once I got it home I pulled the cover and the starter clutch bolt was hand tight!! I JUST had the starter clutch off and cleaned it real good and reinstalled to spec and put blue locktight on it and it still loosened up. My main question, is the big gear behind the starter clutch supposed to be loose? I can spin it around easily on the crank. Should I just go ahead and buy a new starter clutch or try to reinstall this one again? Also is the starter supposed to "kick out" to engage the gears like a car or does it ride straight on them?

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
Cars use a BENDIX drive, bikes use a starter clutch instead.
NO kicking out like a car, clutch spins and these barrel shapped ball spin out and lock down on the crankshaft end.
These things frequently loosen up.
If the starter works fine when the bolt is tight , then the started clutch is good.
You just need a way to keep the bolt tight.
Sometimes a dimple with a punch and hammer on the bolt does the trick.
perhaps a star washer will do?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.