Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 GSXR 2001 K1
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened up the transmission on the clutch side to fix the problem with 01's with the shift plate being loose like in this thread here transmission stuck in gear - couldn't shift...fixed and I tightened the bolt as much as I could and thought it was all fixed and good, however the bike was still not shifting. Figured out that the shift plate still is not in all the way but I cannot tighten the bolt any further without forcing it and I don't want to do that since I don't have any idea what is going on in the other side of the case and I don't want to brake something. You can see from the pictures here that the hooked part (idk its name) is in the same plane as the circular part of the shift plate but it should be above it, and that hooked part is catching the circular part and preventing the shift lever from going through its full range of motion.
20210718_125345.jpg

Another strange thing (maybe this isn't strange if you know what you're doing) is that when I tighten the bolt the shift plate actually seems to come farther out. I put some pictures here but it is kind of hard to see.
Loosened:
20210718_125418.jpg

Tightened:
20210718_125403.jpg

So I'm not really sure how to get this shift plate to get all the way flush with those bearings like it is supposed to be and I don't know what is going on in the other side of the case if there might be an issue over there preventing this thing from getting in the right position.

·
Registered
2001 GSXR 2001 K1
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean by the pin being engaged between the two? I haven't seen behind that star plate before so I'm not really sure what it looks like behind there and from the diagram it looks like the #7 pin you are talking about is behind the star plate. Is the pin just out of place and blocking the star plate from going backward flush with the bearings, and should I just remove the star plate to fix it?

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
With the pin # 8 removed , you can rotate the star plate, if the pin # 7 is engaged, the shift cam will move with the star plate. If not, rotate the star plate until the pin # 7 drops into place. It is difficult to keep everything held together and in place, but you can do it without further disassembly.

·
Registered
2001 GSXR 2001 K1
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So just pull pin 8 out and rotate the star plate until pin 7 drops into place. What do you mean by difficult to keep everything held together, do I just have to make sure the star plate does not come out of place? So is pin 7 just a dowel pin that goes into that smaller hole on the back of the star plate that you can see in the picture on that link?

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
The spring pressure on the lower roller bearing cam stopper, #13 pushes against star plate.
Yes, dowel pin connects star plate to shift cam. Doesn't matter if star plate comes out, just have to align everything and assemble.
Edit, the thread on the pin # 8 is quite long, may not have to remove it, Just back it off till star plate is loose and try to rotate star plate on shift cam.
If shift cam, moves with star plate, Dowel is engaged.

·
Registered
2001 GSXR 2001 K1
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I pulled the star plate off and got it lined up with the dowl pin part #7 and it sits flush now. Now I need to buy a new part #8 because the threads on it were warped so it doesn't go in straight. I Will give an update if the bike shifts gears when the new part gets here, but I'm guessing it will shift fine after I get it put back together. Thanks for the help.

Edit on this post. I think I will try putting the #8 pin in the hole on the star shifter than putting the shifter on the dowel pin as I screw it in since the reason I cant get the #8 pin all the way back in is because it is catching on the star shifter.
Blocked.jpg

Edit again, yeah the threads on #8 are toasted, gonna need to order a new one for sure, wouldn't want to put this one back in even if I could.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
This part comes with thread lock. If not, Blue Loctite on it. (y)

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
My pleasure. Thanks for coming back and letting us know the outcome. A lot of posters seam to fix the problem, then there off with the fairies. I mean mountain roads. 😂 And never think to finish the thread. (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts