Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 GSXR600 that has been the pride of my motorsports life so far. It has run extrememly well over the past few years and I have thought myself to have taken good care of it. However, now there is a problem. Every now and then, while braking, it will stall. Even though I let the bike warm up before riding it, it stalls under moderate to heavy braking. It also can randomly stall at slow speeds, like while slowing down to make a right-hand turn. I suspect that either the jetting is bad (not my main suspicion) or that the fuel filter might be clogged. I haven't cleaned the fuel filter in all the years that I have owned it, and I'm sure the previous owner didn't either. Could this explain why it's stalling? Decreased fuel delivery?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I believe you're on the right track. I would check the tank for rust and maybe clean the carbs. If its been a while on the plugs change those also.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
i also have a fuel problem w/ my 97 gsxr600 but this is like a gas tank problem... when i get to 2gallons left(warning light on) My bike would die out whenever i pull in the clutch and itll take me forever to get to the gas station.... basically running off the fumes maybe.... But i havent fixed it yet cause im broke... so what i do is keep the gas tank full 90% and fill up everyday

[ 01-28-2003, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: a56kuser ]

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
lift the gas cap and get a flashlight and check the tank for rust

there are two fuel filters
one is inside the tank attached to the fuel pump

the other is very small ,where the fuel pipe runs from the tank to the fuel rail,take the pipe off there is a small filter inside the pipe

maybe worth pulling your plugs just to check the colour of them

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks everyone for your help. That night, I pulled out the fuel filter and it was black. I tried to blow stuff out with compressed air, but I didn't really see anything fly off. After seeing GIXXER UK's fuel filter, it seems that mine is junk now. His (or hers, I'm not sexist) was nice and cream colored, indicating that the fuel filter was clean, unlike my dirty whore filter.

Also, thanks for telling me about the second filter. I didn't see that in the factory manual, which by the way all of you should pick up from [email protected] (I think that's his email) for only $30.

Be safe! - Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, I checked for rust. None whatsoever, even after I've been the 2nd owner and had it for 3 years and put 9000 miles on it. Engine is great, has 23000 miles on it. I love this bike!

-Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts