Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 gixxer was running fine until i swapped the duo street slayer M4 cans i had to a Werkes Competition slip on belly pipe, now the bike's engine cuts out at stops, traffic or when I'm off throttle and only trying to move on the idle speed, speedo still counts but revs drop to zero, Normally my idle speed is about 12kph-14kph, now it's dropping all the way to 5kph and then climbing back again to 13kph. The idling is eratic, the rev needle on the rev meter moves slightly in each direction.

When i clutch in at stops/slowing down, engine cuts/dies, when i let off the clutch (the engine starts again, as when pushing bike to jumpstart it, if speed was too low, i have to use the start switch, sometimes i have to try severally before it picks up), this quite dangerous for me, i have to have my hazard lights on when approaching a stop/juntion or slow traffic.

When it stalls and stutters there's a smell of gasoline/unburnt gas, like it's flooding, explains why it doesn't start right back up, until i have hit the starter button several times.

I put back my old m4 pipes thinking that would solve the issue, but nothing.

Performed the following tests:
-changed plugs, now got new Brisk performance laser plugs on
-changed air filter, k&n on
-changed the internal white fuel strainer (was clogged a bit)
-tested fuel pump, works fine
-all 4 cylinders firing ( tested with a water hose,
all equally hot & burning)
-adjusted the idling screw on the left, one with a nut & hollow on the inside, got speeds to 17kph while on 1st gear, switched bike off, started it again, idling speed went back to 13kph (usual speed), wondering whether the ecm controls the idle speed or there's another button i should fiddle with.
-checked the battery, all good, 14v when bike off, drops to about 12-13v when bike starts, and if you slowly rev up the bike, the voltage climbs again steadily to 14.3v. Plus bike starts okay even after 3-4 attempts after a stall, with all lights on.

Note:
I'm in Africa and there's not enough elephants left around for me to ride to work anymore , this is my daily commute, i couldn't sleep last night. :cry::sick:

Also I'm new here, hopefully someone's got a solution to this. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Do you have a copy of the manual?
I would do a fuel flow test (there is a specific volume it should push).
I would also check for vacuum leaks.
You said it wants to die at low speeds and idle is off. How does it run at higher RPMs?
Often when you change the cans, it affects the air/fuel flow. Sometimes you can re-flash the ECU with a different fuel map to compensate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a copy of the manual?
I would do a fuel flow test (there is a specific volume it should push).
I would also check for vacuum leaks.
You said it wants to die at low speeds and idle is off. How does it run at higher RPMs?
Often when you change the cans, it affects the air/fuel flow. Sometimes you can re-flash the ECU with a different fuel map to compensate.
It's running great at high rpm, as usual, when i come to a stop or slow moving traffic, i don't throttle, just let bike move on idling, now instead, the bike sputters and engine dies...i get to start again, and that doesn't happen for another say 30 mins , till i came to a stop/traffic or bumps, again bike dies and sputters...smells of gasoline. I have the manual.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,538 Posts
You've probably removed/disabled the clutch switch or it isn't working. See this, including my #3 & #8 posts.

"wondering whether the ecm controls the idle speed "
It does. That's what the ISC is about.

I couldn't follow your stuff about "idling screw on the left, one with a nut & hollow on the inside" but it sounds like you've been dicking with things that should have been left alone. It may take some work to undo that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've probably removed/disabled the clutch switch or it isn't working. See this, including my #3 & #8 posts.

"wondering whether the ecm controls the idle speed "
It does. That's what the ISC is about.

I couldn't follow your stuff about "idling screw on the left, one with a nut & hollow on the inside" but it sounds like you've been dicking with things that should have been left alone. It may take some work to undo that.
Finally sorted the issue, turns out that my primary tps/main was faulty, swaped it with a friends and bikes now running fine.

Anyone having the same issue should look into the TPS, damn thing got me fucked up for two weeks, just from normal wear and tear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts