Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Quick question.. On my 98-600 (which I bought used) - I took the airbox out to clean it out and check the air filter (pretty routine) - well I found a K&N inside (which the seller didnt' mention) - and also I noticed that the intakes to the carbs (I believe these are called carb stacks?) are this funny orange-red color. I've seen some inside airbox pics and noticed that the color isn't the same, I'm wondering if the ones on my bike are aftermarket or not. (good thing I looked before I bought that K&N).. heh

- Gary

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Bonus K&N

Ive seen those onthe board too, i think it's Jon T Flesh's bike. It's got those Red\Orange inlet funnels.

Im sure he give u the low-down on those.

KaTz

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Those are called Velocity stacks, and they are most likely stock since they dont make aftermarket ones for this bike (I too have the 98 600). Some bikes, such as the r6 and so on are offered aftermarket ones which actually are said to give a pony ot two, but no luck for these....we get the orangish red

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh... cool, thanks for all your help - hopefully I'll keep finding more good suprises than bad ones.. heh.. now time to get to frame polishing!
- Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
i seen that on another bike and wondered the same it was on a 600 also. I thought that the shorter the better and it would be very hard to pressurize in a air box with those vs the stock ones

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I think that only the 98 600's came with them, but I'm not sure, they were put on to try to improve performance then junked in 99. Or I might have dreamed that, I'm not sure

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
all modern bikes with airboxes have velocity stacks......just as an experiment, try running the airbox without them, or cut them off....watch what happens to the bike's powerband.

i believe velocity stack length was one of the things suzuki changed between the 97-98 or 98-99 the 600 in an effort to improve midrange....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts