Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am after a little bit of help/information. I have recently been given a 600 for free from my brother in law only issue it's all in boxes some bits are missing. I have the main stuff like frame wheels engine. What I'd like to know is where to start really. I've never ridden a bike before or really wanted one but having recently been diagnosed with depression I figured it was a project that might occupy my mind. Also is it worth doing the extra work to fit the newer bits like in the stickys

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Carlsalter.com for a free 600cc manual.

Free bike could still end up in the thousands of dollars to repair let alone "upgrades"
Presuming you want a safe bike.
Get a torque wrench.
Pics will grab more interest along the way.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome St50vec ,get the suspension checked, wheels on, engine in and get her running, there are many on here who own or have owned an srad, and have great knowledge of the srads. Post photos and let us know how your getting on, and any help\questions you have. We will help wherever we can. Good luck

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I would suggest starting with a lift and the frame. Clean it up and check it over for cracks and damage. Then mount the engine and start running wires and cables. Then go to the suspension. Get a free factory manual download. In it it will have everything you need to put it back together as long as your mechanically inclined and can look at a diagram and see what it's telling you. There are even diagrams of where everything should be routed. I have done this several times with a handful of bikes. Here's a pic of when I redid my 94 750 after putting a big bore in and polishing the frame. Initially this doesn't need to cost you anything except time and cleaning and lubricating supplies. Get it together first after cleaning everything good and lubricating it properly. By that time you will have a lot better understanding of how a motorcycle works then most people on here without ever riding one. Then once it's together with the pieces you have decide if it's worth going forward and spending money on. If you start a build thread and post pictures as you progress, I'm sure you will have plenty of people interested in helping you out. This forum doesn't have enough of that. It'll be a good confidence booster as long as you ignore the bitter people in here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts