Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could you tell me the difference between an srad and non e.g the gsxr 600
i know its suzuki ram air direct but what is that exactly and what difference performance wise is there
cheers

[ 06-18-2002, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: GIXXERUK ]

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
at higher speeds especially, but maybe from 50mph up, it pressureises the airbox to act like a miniture supercharger (and i do mean miniture) but at 120mph plus, with the ducts sealed up so no pressure loss, i'm led to believe its worth up to 10bhp at top speed. people pay a lot of for that sort of gain.

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
your example given is inclusive of the srad brand insomuchas year 1997 and newer has the engine utilizing the suzuki ram air theory , which translates into more power at higher speeds via tunnels on each side of the frame......kawasaki brought this technology to the production class bikes first with the zx7r , circa 1990. it made much (15??) more power than the gixxer of that year, taking suzuki down a notch and spiraling outta control.............honey we are home!!!!!!!!! now whos outa date and struggling???

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
apparently also, suzuki couldnt use this untill 96 cus kawasaki had a 5 year patent on it or sumthink.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do suzuki not do a kit where you can upgrade a normally aspirated bike to srad standard?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
doubt suzuki do one, but various special builders have done kits in the past such as two brothers racing did a kit for the fireblade i think (wash my mouth out with soap) in a test sometime ago. if i was gonna go there, i'd bolt on a turbo and be done with it !!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Originally posted by GIXXERUK:
do suzuki not do a kit where you can upgrade a normally aspirated bike to srad standard?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">All SRAD's are normally aspirated.

You can get airbox kits for certain bikes, but the fuelling is difficult to get right.

The main problem with Suzuki's is that the tubes never line up where they come through the frame so you don't enjoy the full benefit. There's like a 1/2" gap on mine, sealed with duct tape

You do realise your bike is a SRAD, don't you?

[ 06-18-2002, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: NotoriousREV ]

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by NotoriousREV:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by GIXXERUK:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">All SRAD's are normally aspirated.

You can get airbox kits for certain bikes, but the fuelling is difficult to get right.

The main problem with Suzuki's is that the tubes never line up where they come through the frame so you don't enjoy the full benefit. There's like a 1/2" gap on mine, sealed with duct tape

You do realise your bike is a SRAD, don't you?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You do realise your bike is a SRAD, don't you?
no i didnt!! i know nothing at all about the srad
so suzuki initially brought out the srad and then adopted that as a standard and dropped the srad sticker??
ps.if you or any of your mates are down this way keep an eye out for 3 unmarked bikes - the give away is the flourescent jackets and white helmets!!
the 1/2" gap i bridged with draught excluder and duct tape
do all 600s hate low revs in 2nd gear- i go to open it up after a slow corner and it chugs til it clears its throat

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
its an assumed thing that all suzukis (after 96) are srad's truely, and all have the benefits of ram air..........why fix something that definately aint broke???

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by eSeMeS750WX:
its an assumed thing that all suzukis (after 96) are srad's truely, and all have the benefits of ram air..........why fix something that definately aint broke???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">dude i didnt realise the scenario hence the question,people talk about the srad as if its something special (even people in bike shops)so thats why i asked - whats the difference? cos i didnt know - now i do so its paid off
thx for your input

·
Registered
701 Posts
Actually, I've always understood the SRAD to mean the '96-99 750s, and the 600s of that body style, too (although '96 up are SRADs). I call that body style/bike style the SRAD, mostly because during those years, the bikes had the SRAD sticker, and the new style doesn't. That way people know what bikes I mean.

EASY ENOUGH?

·
Registered
645 Posts
This is correct. 1996 was the first SRAD system implementation. It's correct effectiveness is maintaining good air pressure in the airbox to meet the demands of good engine performance at high speeds and rpm's. The true ram air effect doesn't come in until you're up around 100mph. There are books with good knowledge of this. As for horsepower is concerned 10hp is not unfeasible. I'd say 10hp +/- 2.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How often do you get to take advantage of the SRAD ????? hmmmm normal riding it doesnt make a difference... I wish I could ride around at 120 all day....buy a bike every year but it would be lots of fun !!! BUt it is a fact that it works very well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seventeen freakin yrs later and still just as true. I innocently bought an old '99 GSXR 600 last year & a few days later bravely got it up to 137... holy sh#@ when that SRAD effect hit around 100+ mph I was in shock. From 100+ till hyperspace the boost harnessed by wind resistance is sheer genius.

·
Registered
324 Posts
could you tell me the difference between an srad and non e.g the gsxr 600
i know its suzuki ram air direct but what is that exactly and what difference performance wise is there
cheers

[ 06-18-2002, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: GIXXERUK ]
The srad is the 97 plate onwards with the hump back end these were called srads as they were the first gsxr to feature the srad system but all gsxrs after this have the srad system it's just Suzuki's name for ram air so really they're all srads

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
2 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts