Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of building a project SRAD and I've reached the point where I'm trying to start it. With the tank connected it will turn over but not fire. It desperately tries but it just won't fire. For whatever reason I suspected it was fuel starvation so bought myself a temporary fuel tank (Sealey 1ltr portable fuel tank).

Once connected up to the carbs, I tried starting it. Initially it fired up and I was soooooo excited. Happy days. I then noticed fuel pissing out of my carbs, as I've recorded here:

https://youtu.be/OK9O-MFH2WQ

I think this is because the temporary tank has no flow control like a vacuum petcock would, it just dumps its load into the carbs until it's empty. Needless to say I've flooded my bike now, so will leave it alone for a week or so.

However... It started (momentarily) whilst connected to the temporary tank which is a positive. It wouldn't start whilst connected to the proper tank. Therefore I'm asking all you lovely lot to sanity check my thinking.

Based on the above, should I invest in a new petcock / fuel pump setup as I can't see what else it could be? For reference, I can hear the pump prime when I turn the ignition key.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Before you throw money at it, I would test the parts first. Check flow of fuel etc, is the petcock working. Will it fire up by putting fuel straight into the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to test what the petcock is throwing out. I know the engines fired when I used the gravity fed temporary tank, which is essentially the same as your 2nd point. A replacement petcock is £35 (around $40). A rebuild kit for the rest of the fuel pump system is about £85 ($100). I'm happy to pay that out if it means I've finally got a running SRAD.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to test what the petcock is throwing out. I know the engines fired when I used the gravity fed temporary tank, which is essentially the same as your 2nd point. A replacement petcock is £35 (around $40). A rebuild kit for the rest of the fuel pump system is about £85 ($100). I'm happy to pay that out if it means I've finally got a running SRAD.
I`m in the uk, this is on ebay eBay item number:121902243216, not sure if any good to you with taxes etc, just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
Midlife-Crisis
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing