Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 17 right now and lately something has clicked in me that seems to say "I want a f***ng bike!!!". Im taking the Motorcycle Training Course so i can recieve my endorsement ($250 July15th-17th). Ive been looking on cycletrader.com for 2003-2005 Gsx-r600's because i would like to get one that is relatively new. I was wondering what the difference between the 750 and the 600 is. Ive heard the 750 has more low end torque and i assume that lower end power is good for newer riders but then again it could be bad, correct?

I recently lost my 1999 Banshee because my local bike shop read off the numbers and it was reported a stolen bike!!! Also, my Yamaha Raptor (atv if u arent familiar) was stolen 2 days ago.
Ive only ridden one super bike and that was a 2003 Gixxer 600. Its been over a year since ive ridden a super bike but i think im ready for a 600. Ive been reading up every chance i get and bought a bunch of magazines if that helps. Im trying to sell all my paintball gear right now so i can have my downpayment ready.

i tried another site called sbw.com or something but i havent gotten a responce for like 2 and a half weeks. If anyone can help me with these couple of question, i'd be very thankful.

Feel free to give me a lecture but try not to talk me into getting a smaller bike because i have my sights set on the gixxer 600. Thanks much guys.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
600 could be a mistake
But if that's what you want then oh well
Look through the classifieds on gdc
Just be safe
A 600 is a lot of bike for a new rider
It will bite you in the ass
And never do this or GDC will bite you in the ass

·
Premium Member
26,775 Posts
I would really look at the SV650 to start on......once ya get good on that, turn it into a track bike and then get your 600.

You might want to check the ins on a 600 for a 17yr old.

njracer

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I dont want to shoot you down but take njracers advice. 600 is not a banshee or a raptor and riding on a super bike once isnt much experience. But best wishes to ya.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just start w/ a 600.... if you get anything else you are going to want to upgrade in no time.

Just take it easy till you get the hang of everything.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
You might want to check the ins on a 600 for a 17yr old.

njracer
2 k / month?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Just start w/ a 600.... if you get anything else you are going to want to upgrade in no time.

Just take it easy till you get the hang of everything.

Buy a cheap ass beater, run it around town. Get used to it, get used to riding. buy all your gear and WEAR IT

Once you feel you've outgrown the beater, go buy your shinny new GSXR. It will still be waiting for you.

If you get on the GSXR right off the bat, your going want to do some dumn shit too soon , with too much power IMO you have your whole life to ride ( as long as you make good choices )

·
Registered
505 Posts
I started out on a 750 and have no regrets, go for the 600 you'll never look back, but BE SAFE and not a dumbass like in the pic above, get all your gear before you get your bike!

·
Registered
850 Posts
i was in your situation last summer when i was 17, i was looking for my bike all the time, i quite playing paintball bc it costed too much and i worked non stop, i didnt get one until November though bc i didnt turn 18 until oct, i took the msf course and rode around on a cruiser for awhile. Since you're still in High School and probably have another year left people might fuck with your bike if you get one and you might do stupid shit to impress people, but be careful. Kids always tried to get me to pop wheelies and i was like f that bc im not gonna wreck trying to impress them. Another kid at my school got the same bike as me about 5 months after me and fucked it up (brand new 05 gsxr-600 mine is an 04) impressing people in a parking lot, now his bike is in a few pieces and mine is still perfect. I've had it for 8 months and about 5000 miles and nothing has gone wrong for me(knock on wood). just dont be stupid, sorry for the long write up im bored

·
Registered
136 Posts
I too started riding on the street full time on a 750. But I had extensive off road, MX experience (since I was 12 and i have never been without a bike) and most of the time I was riding my quads and dirt bikes on the streets and running from the cops eveyweekend. I felt it was time to just grow up and get on the road (since i was 29). But let me tell you something, IT'S WAY, WAY, WAY DIFFERENT! The power curve's is WAY DIFERENT! One wrong move and you will be on your ear! But if you are extreamly carefull you can pull it off. People can tell you to get a beater and its a smart move since it's not if, but when you WILL drop it but if your mind is made up on a shiny new bike, no matter whats said you going to get what makes you happy. I bought a new bike because for once in my life I make damn good money and can afford to fix it. Also keep in mind bikes are VERY hard to finance, so be ready for a hart break when they deny you credit. Oh and wear your fucking gear!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just want to get a bike and be happy with it. I read that hole thread about the squid doing a wheelie and it was just stupid of him. I dont have the money to buy a bike and then sell it and then buy another one. Im relying on my mom to pay for it because im going to pay her back for it (i dont have any credit, and she has very very good credit). The reason she is doing it is because i get really grades and i take college classes which is really hard to do while having a g/f , a job, and highschool. My highschool is a little different. Its part of a community college campus and there arent many kids at the school and i dont have friends at that school. The first thing i do before i get on a bike is buy/wear my gear. I know thats the most important thing.

I get pissed when i see riders with no helmets. Thats suicide unless you have God as your passenger.

·
Registered
88 Posts
From what you are telling us you should get the SV650. Its a great bike to learn on and its cheaper. It's sounds like you under enough stress as it is do you really want to have to worry about paying for a more expensive bike at your age. You also have find out insurance prices too.

And if your g/f takes up that much time ditch the bitch when you get a bike so you have more time to ride.

Oh and btw God doesn't ride with people that don't wear helmets, darwin does.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You will be alright on a 600 as long as you use your head. You are taking the MSF which is a good start. I just started on a 600 and you just have to make the right decisions. Definetly get a good helmet and gear and be responsible. I don't know what insurance is going to run you though on a 600. That might be worth considering.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got my 2004 gsxr 600 at 18. I had never rode a day in my life. I took the msf course and then started riding my bike around my neighborhood for like a steady 2 weeks. After that i stayed on sidestreets for another 2 weeks. After the 1st month i took the bike on main roads and then later highways. I've been riding for 8 months now and have never wrecked or even dropped the bike "knock on wood". If you start off slow and dont rush. you will have no problem at all.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I dont want to shoot you down but take njracers advice. 600 is not a banshee or a raptor and riding on a super bike once isnt much experience. But best wishes to ya.
+1 I'm sure it's not fun to hear advice from a bunch of old riders but we're still riding and hoping you'll be around riding later in life too. The street is a dangerous place and you've probably only been on it a year assuming you got your license at 16. Not only do you need riding experience, you could use a lot of driving experience. It's a lot safer to learn your lessons and make your first couple street mistakes in the safety of a cage. Even after years of watching what crazy drivers will do, they still manage to surprise me. Learn in your car and on an SV650. The GSXR will be waiting for you after high school and college.

·
Premium Member
26,775 Posts
+1 I'm sure it's not fun to hear advice from a bunch of old riders but we're still riding and hoping you'll be around riding later in life too. The street is a dangerous place and you've probably only been on it a year assuming you got your license at 16. Not only do you need riding experience, you could use a lot of driving experience. It's a lot safer to learn your lessons and make your first couple street mistakes in the safety of a cage. Even after years of watching what crazy drivers will do, they still manage to surprise me. Learn in your car and on an SV650. The GSXR will be waiting for you after high school and college.
+2 but we all know what he's going to do......he's going to pick out what ever his mom will pay for or co-sign for him. He will get his nice new 600 and he'll drop or crash it in a matter of days or weeks.

Do yourself a favor and get an older sportbike or if you want to go new, an Sv650 and learn how to ride and survive on the street. There is a reason us older riders suggest starting small and working your way up....we've been there. I've been riding 5yrs longer than you have been on this earth......follow the right path and you might be here 22yrs later telling another new rider what's the smart thing to do.

OTOH - You also mentioned that you don't really have a ton of money....just remember when you drop your bike, current plastic is very expensive to replace. A simple tip-over in the garage could run ya $400+.

Good luck on your decision.

njracer

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"frame sliders" Do they help minimize damage. I think i can handle a 600. I didnt find it as fast as i thought it would be. even after taking it up to 13k rpm. The thing is, i have my sights on the 600 and thats what im going to start off on. Im definately going to take it slow for a WHILE. Ill be 18 at the beginning of octboer. I thought u didnt have to have insurance on a motorcycle....? Can someone explain that to me and maybe add in what it MIGHT cost.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
"frame sliders" Do they help minimize damage. I think i can handle a 600. I didnt find it as fast as i thought it would be. even after taking it up to 13k rpm. The thing is, i have my sights on the 600 and thats what im going to start off on. Im definately going to take it slow for a WHILE. Ill be 18 at the beginning of octboer. I thought u didnt have to have insurance on a motorcycle....? Can someone explain that to me and maybe add in what it MIGHT cost.
Insurance is dependent upon what state you live in. If you do not get insurance, you are a dumbass. At the bare minimum get comprehensive, which with the bare minimum options for a policy, it will probably run you $1,000.00 a year (assuming you pay for it yourself). You will not be able to afford collision at your age unless you put the bike in your parent's names. Ideally you want collision especially if you buy a new bike because if you wreck it and it is not insured it will suck to be you. Also, if you finance, some contracts require you to carry full coveraget. You need to find the motorcycle specific insurance laws for your state and financing place (if applicable). Being 17, your best bet is to put it in your parent's name, probably your mom's. Later,

PS - While frame sliders are a must and can help prevent damage to plastics, etc., they are there to protect the frame from damage and do not always save your plastics so do not think them to be a foolproof way out of collision insurance.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts