Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres one.....we can try a exercise ta help the newbies...give a "Do" and a "Dont" example....

Do:change your oil/filter every 3000 miles
Dont
egrease/clean your chain w/ brake clean to make it shiny(THIS IS NOT A JOKE,I'VE SEEN MORONS DO THIS!)

------------------
"Give me fuel,give me fire,give me that which I desire..." a quote from a little known bay area quartet who have current legal issues with another little known computer community(yeah,and I DL'd all their shit ta spite them)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW,no replies....I didnt expect that. looks like the 'ol group is where Im headed...

------------------
"...Im silly like that,Ill flare up like a pack of hemeroids on ya at the drop of a hat..."

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Tires"

DO: spend the extra couple of bucks for a good set of tires(MICHELIN Pilot's, DUNLOP 207's), because the money you saved buying the cheap stuff won't pay for the damage from a lowside.

DON'T: mix and match different brands of tires... a Dunlop 207 front isn't made to run with a Brigdestone Battlax rear, different tires give you different feedback, so that could be dangerous.

DO: let your tires warm up a little before you start really leaning into corners, and getting on it, because cold rubber is hard and slick...lots of crashes happen on cold tires.

DON'T: let someone influence you to put race compound tires on your streetbike, cuz they take longer to heat up, and you shouldn't be pushing yourself hard enough on the street to need race tires

------------------

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
DO: wash your bike as much as possible (you know you wanna make it look good, right?), cleaning even your sprocket/chain and if you feel like taking fairings off use some engine degeaser/cleaner (also you might find a little leak before it becomes a big leak). Wheels, especially the white ones, can get dirty as hell quickly and look sharp when clean. Especially if you've been burnin your rear tire get all the gunk from undertail etc., brake dust is a bitch
DONT: let water get into your air intakes too much, matter of fact I cover mine when washing and dont use the hose for this. like said above, dont be stupid and use brake cleaner or something, use kerosene (or equiv)on your chain (well, I was told to use it on my EK chain)
DO: check your tire pressures regularly. check your plugs if you are having any troubles with firing or sputtering. also when you wash your ride, check your brake lines for cracks (if you have the rubber ones, and you find cracks, you might want to get steel ones), wire harnesses for integrity and watch for potential chafing/pinching conditions. check your forks too sometimes.
DONT: try wheelies or hard cornering 2 minutes after you take your bike out....especially if its a little nipply outside....cold tires like said sbove can result in whoopsies or much worse. happened to me, and I guarantee I'm not the only one.
DO: set up your bike, whether its new or used, to what you like to feel when you're siting on it in a riding position (clipons, hand levers, brake foot lever, suspension preloads, tire pressure also). if you buy a bike from a 5'9" guy and you are 6'2" you probably wont want to ride it how he had it.

------------------
Speed doesn't kill......stupidity (and other drivers) kill

·
Registered
58 Posts
DO: Check your fluid levels regularly, and go over your bike with a few wrenches because in time fluids tend to evaporate and bolts can vibrate loose.

DON'T: Ignore any noises, shakes, or changes in the way your bike sounds or drives because if there's a problem it will eventually get worse and probably do more damage($$$$$$$$).

------------------

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Good thread!

------------------
***1996 GSX-R 750***,

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Don't overtorque your fairing bolts, since the steel bolts are going into aluminum bosses where your frame is concerned.

Don't panic if you overtorque your fairing bolts and strip the threads. Your local wrench can quickly install a new threaded boss...just a slightly larger bolt

Do not get loctite or its competitors anywhere near anything plastic, unless you want to see the closest thing to molecular acid since Alien

Do not count kinks in your chain, thinking that its like snakes and ladders.

Do not believe that the axle/chain alignment marks on your swingarm are accurate. I don't really know why they even bother.

------------------
Fat Bastard's bike: '93 GSXR1100wp CDN version w/ thoroughly ridiculous # of mods :)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DO: experiment...try things out,they may help your style and abilities. Adj suspension,adj control settings...try various states of tune.....
DONT: play w/ said settings and then race off w/o getting yourself adjusted....ie,invert your shifter then ride in traffic,tweak your suspension then race through a canyon road....YOU WILL GET A BIG SUPRISE IF YOUR NOT READY!

------------------
...I failded englesh?Thats unpossible....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
DO: Wear your helmet (that means on your HEAD dumbass)
DON'T: Wear FUBU jereseys and a Nike Tennis Hat upside down and backwards
DO: Wave to other riders
DON'T: Zoom past other riders in THEIR lane you fucking COCK!

Maybe I'm taking this a little too personal...

------------------
My current road whore and my future road whore

97 ZX6R 01 GSXR1000

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
OK, I'm gonna start compiling these stories and call 'em Rev's Fables:

A friend of mine had been out for a run on his ageing and well thrashed RGV250, and when returning home, thought he could hear a little-end rattle, so as he turned into his own street (a trick even David Copperfield finds hard) he took his helmet off, stuck it on his arm, and continued to ride down the road with his head down almost level with the engine (at about 15mph). Suddenly he looks up and sees a police car blocking the road ahead, and he nearly dumps it trying to stop in a hurry. They didn't book him, but they gave him one of those patronising "safety talks".
Next week: The day I saw my buddy wheelie past my house, followed 20 seconds later by a speeding Police BMW R80 which to this day he claims he never saw...

------------------

"Ask about our motto competition"

·
Registered
705 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jp233:
DON'T: try to keep up with a more experienced rider. period. even if he/she is on a lesser bike and you think you can show them a thing or two.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That reminds me of right after I got my bike. I had, of course, the whole 'fastest production bike' thing stuck in my head. Came up to an intersection where a GSXR750 and a Triumph were stopped. The Gixxer takes off and, of course, I take off after it, keeping up quite nicely until I shifted into second... whoops, didn't lift the lever enough... hits neutral and I rev up making an extremely loud wail with the Micron for several seconds until I figured what I had just done.

They drove off as quick as they could and I felt like an idiot.

It has taken a LOT of restraint not to try racing other vehicles on the road, but I feel like I set a good example now (what do I have to prove anyway, other than getting stopped?)

I might as well add a couple of my own here:

DO: Use the center stand and remove both fairings when changing the oil and filter.
DON'T: Get oil on the fiberglass parts that contact the exhaust pipes and DON'T try to clean them by spraying them full of solvents.

DO: Take time to check your air cleaner and other engine parts and clean the bugs from the intakes/ram air ducts.
DON'T: Go out and buy K&N or other 'free-flow' air filters for everyday/city use. They are free-flowing because they don't filter well.

------------------
1999 T.I.E. Defender - Hyperdrive, tractor beam, advanced concussion missles, and Emperor's seal-of-approval.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
true, true........I wave anytime I am not doing anything with my hands.......to everyone, regardless of what they're riding, if it has 2 wheels - or even 3 if you're on one of those crazy trikes - its cool with me.

DON'T: try to keep up with a more experienced rider. period. even if he/she is on a lesser bike and you think you can show them a thing or two.

------------------
1998 GSX-R750, what is "stock" ??

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NOTE: This is a personal favorite! I used to work in a mall in a street front store....guys would ride by with their helmet straped to their arm,on the tank or hooked on the helmet lock....tryin to be cooool on their newly purchased bikes.BLAM,oops....little old man wasnt payin attention and pulled out in front of him.....HAHA...jackass is pretty hurt,bike is jacked up BUT LOOK!!!!HIS HELMET SURE LOOKS GOOD STILL LYIN THERE ON THE GROUND. I have witnissed at least 3 accidents of this sort.

------------------
...I failded englesh?Thats unpossible....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Actually K&N is hands down the best filter you can get for a car or a bike period
they are warrentied for a million miles by K&N and you never have to replace them... just clean and oil periodically... and yes tests have shown just becasue its "freeflowing" doesnt mean its an ineffective filtering device sorry
in my oppionion get the K&Ns for daily use in town the best filtering device there is period

------------------

·
Registered
705 Posts
Personally, I've used K&Ns and they let a lot of crap through, even if you keep them sprayed. Check your intake manifold sometime. They can publish all the tests they want, but they nothing more than advertising hype if it still lets dust and dirt through in actual use.

Plus, warrantees always mean the good-old run-around routine when you try getting them honored.

------------------
1999 T.I.E. Defender - Hyperdrive, tractor beam, advanced concussion missles, and Emperor's seal-of-approval.

·
Rookie
1,401 Posts
My personal opinion on K&N's:
I live in washington and when Mt. St. Helens erupted, ash was covering the timber around the mountains. My dad, being a logger, was rebuilding chainsaw motors every weekend from abrasive ash eating the cylinders. He got K&N's and only rebuilt them about every month. We have K&N's on every vehicle we Own now.

More Opinions:

Do: listen to the more experienced riders; learn your new bike inside and out before pushing it; maintain and upgrade your brakes ( what good is an extra 5 hp if you can go 60 to 0 slower than a car)

Don't: listen to your non-riding friends when they say "do a burnout/wheelie/stoppie" when you know you can't; drink and drive/ride; piss off the police (you cant outrun the radio where Im from).

------------------

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do: check air pressure 1(at least)a month...3lbs can definately alter your bikes ride...

Dont: take readings(check/add) after riding on the bike over a 1 mile distance...this causes the air to heat and expand-altering your true reading...

------------------
"I can't be held accountable for what I say....I say alot of things"

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Just to add to the K&N debate:

David Vizard, renowned engine builder and tuner, did his own tests on various filters. K&N's flowed better AND filtered better than any other filter on the market at the time. He even tested on old filter off a beach buggy that hadn't been oiled or cleaned. Most of the folds in the filter were clogged with dust and sand, and it still flowed better than OEM filters.

That works for me.

------------------

"Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own theme park! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the blackjack."

[This message has been edited by NotoriousREV (edited 02-21-2001).]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts