Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys,

Year ago ive bought a GSXR 600 from 1999, had a couple of issues and I brought it to the garage to get fixed.

Runs really well now, though there is one issue

The bike runs fine pulls fine in all gears but when I get to the high RPM range ( from 9k to redline), it starts jerking and stuttering pretty hard.

Before the bike would even die when stuttering that hard, but I found out that that was because of the kickstand sensor being loose. I tightened it again and it didn't die on me anymore.:D

For me this is confusing because there was a ton of maintenance done;
Carbs cleaned, checked, re-tuned (tuned when db killer wasn't on, now it is. Idk if that makes much difference)
Fuel lines checked (were OK)
New spark plugs
Cleaned air filter
Coolant tubes checked (were OK)
Battery / charging system checked (also OK)

Not alot of mods on it. Completely stock besides a takkoni exhaust end

Anybody got any idea what could be wrong?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Does the thing got a k&n air filter?

Does the bike have a ridiculous sprocket setup?

You say carbs were tuned, by who? It’s kinda a lost art... 9k and above could be a bad main jet setup, or other shit... perhaps your a victim of a diy eBay dyno jet kit that tells people to drill out the slides...

How about a more common thing for old bikes... the kick stand kill switch... loose bouncing button can prompt jerky ness ...

Inno what else.... jacked up cam chain tensioner?

failing stator or rectifier perhaps?

does the rpm crappyness occur only when riding? How about when it’s propped on a stand “safely”

what about compression? Within tolerances on all cylinders?

Read all this? That dumb sputtering often occurs when the y pipe on the carbs is diconnected from the front of the airbox... would be the easiest solution

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Does the thing got a k&n air filter?

Does the bike have a ridiculous sprocket setup?

You say carbs were tuned, by who? It’s kinda a lost art... 9k and above could be a bad main jet setup, or other shit... perhaps your a victim of a diy eBay dyno jet kit that tells people to drill out the slides...

How about a more common thing for old bikes... the kick stand kill switch... loose bouncing button can prompt jerky ness ...

Inno what else.... jacked up cam chain tensioner?

failing stator or rectifier perhaps?

does the rpm crappyness occur only when riding? How about when it’s propped on a stand “safely”

what about compression? Within tolerances on all cylinders?

Read all this? That dumb sputtering often occurs when the y pipe on the carbs is diconnected from the front of the airbox... would be the easiest solution
Thx for the response!

Now that you mention it, it DOES have a K&N filter thanks to the previous owner.
Ill try disconnecting the kickstand kill switch and putting a wire in it temporarily to check it out, it was loose and i tightened it but it might be the button / sensor itself like you mention
The bike was tuned at a local garage that everybody goes to in my city, alot of people think those guys do a good job
Ill check if it does the same on a stand tomorrow also
Sprockets are standard
Ill try to work down the list u gave me and give an update ASAP :D

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Try the Y pipe in front if the air box first, I’ve left that sucker detached a handful of times and it’ll cause a similar situation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try the Y pipe in front if the air box first, I’ve left that sucker detached a handful of times and it’ll cause a similar situation
Ive opened it up and i see that the vacuum pipe connection is loose. The Fshaped hose disconnected from it. Attached them together now and I am going to test drive tomorrow. Ill keep the thread updated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, the y pipe on the vacuum hose seemed to be the issue as you said! Put some zipties on it to clamp it and problem solved!

Thank you so much Monolith! I probably would'nt have found this!

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Glad it was the easiest of all possibilities.

still worthwhile to replace your k&n with a oem paper or a bmc(race) filter when you get a chance

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
For the carb'd srads the K&N is a nogo. Would need to search ccmhunts threads to give you a exact reasoning, but the jist is the K&N on a carb'd srad hinders. Been so long I'm forgetting specifically if its a vibration thing or a flow thing, but it's a negative on fuel delivery in some specific manner directly relating to the carb'd versions of srads. As it seems to not be an issue with the Fuel injected models.

The way the K&N is negative to the srads, the BMC (non race) is pretty much the same.

The winner for lifetime filter without negative effects is the BMC (Race)

Alternatively the OEM suzuki paper filter has no hindrance either aside from needing to replace occasionally instead of cleaning/servicing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the carb'd srads the K&N is a nogo. Would need to search ccmhunts threads to give you a exact reasoning, but the jist is the K&N on a carb'd srad hinders. Been so long I'm forgetting specifically if its a vibration thing or a flow thing, but it's a negative on fuel delivery in some specific manner directly relating to the carb'd versions of srads. As it seems to not be an issue with the Fuel injected models.

The way the K&N is negative to the srads, the BMC (non race) is pretty much the same.

The winner for lifetime filter without negative effects is the BMC (Race)

Alternatively the OEM suzuki paper filter has no hindrance either aside from needing to replace occasionally instead of cleaning/servicing.
Ordered one, itll be coming in a package tomorrow or day after.
Thanks for the tip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts