Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the same 96 750 SRAD that I was talking about the head gasket in an earlier topic , the reason I tore into the motor was because the #4 piston was hitting the head, which was caused by a spun rod bearing on the crank . I've got another crank an rods to go back in it , but waiting on the bearings and head gasket to come in . The motor has 16K miles on it , is this a common problem or is there something else I need to check before I put it back together ?
Thanks for the help ,
Jim

·
Registered
970 Posts
Originally posted by purse-snatcher:
On the same 96 750 SRAD that I was talking about the head gasket in an earlier topic , the reason I tore into the motor was because the #4 piston was hitting the head, which was caused by a spun rod bearing on the crank . I've got another crank an rods to go back in it , but waiting on the bearings and head gasket to come in . The motor has 16K miles on it , is this a common problem or is there something else I need to check before I put it back together ?
Thanks for the help ,
Jim
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sometimes these motors loose rod bearings because the oil pump screen fills up with cam chain guide filings. Check the guides, oil pump screen, and oil pump rotors while its apart.

On the head gasket question, get a copy of Suzuki Service Bulletin GS/GSX/GSX-R 83 2/27/96. If the motor has a 4 shim head gasket, its been apart before. This describes the procedure to determine the correct gasket/deck clearance for your engine. Suzuki made a series of base gaskets that allowed finer adjustement of the deck clearance than just the 3 or 4 shim head gasket. The extra thick head gasket was so dealers wouldn't have to pull the cylinder as well as the head.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Is there a way to check the oil pump screen?? Or do I have to tear into the engine to do it?????

·
Registered
153 Posts
my friend has had a problem with spun rod bearings. the cause is from doing a stand up wheelie for too long. he said it doesnt get enough oil when he rides a stand up for too long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts