Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just read a thread in mods & how to's on changing sproket sizes.

I have never run diffrent sprocket sizes on any of my bikes.

is it best to go down 1 tooth on the front or up one tooth on the back?

If i did this, what would i expect performance wise & would it be worth it?

p.s I ride a 91' 750

· Registered
247 Posts
I think for the relatively little money you spend to do it, sprockets are one of the best things you can do to your bike. I put a pipe and jet kit on my '86 750 and noticed an improvement in mid to high rpm's but I wanted more low end. I don't ride on the highway much and since I live between two mountains and next to a state park which are filled with GREAT low speed, winding roads with an occasional straightaway I went up one in the back and down one in the front. I changed both so that I wouldn't have to shorten my chain at all. I think the gear change helped overall performance more than the pipe/jetting. I just switched to 17" wheels and they came with an even bigger rear sprocket, I am going to try it, I expect with the type of riding I do I'll love it plus the smaller diameter tires will help acceleration even more. I don't know with the new wheel/sprocket combo but the -1 front/+1 rear was very happy cruising at 75-80mph but I know I gave up a good 10-15 mph on top end but how often do you really go 145 mph. Although, in Europe you may get more opportunity than we do on the east coast of the U.S.

· Premium Member
839 Posts
Keep the front sprocket stock and add 2 - 3 teeth to the rear one. Ensure that the new chain has sufficient links.

Basically chains thrive running on big circles, so the smaller the primary sprocket, the faster the chain will wear.

FYI: I've gone UP one tooth on my primary sprocket and up 6 teeth on the rear so as to wind up with the same gearing as stock +3, but with bigger sprockets all around.

· Registered
321 Posts
I agree up 3 on the rear. My 92 is the same as your 91. I went up 3 teeth on the rear. There is a noticable diff. But it's not so bad that your RPM's are too high or so much low-end that the bike feels squirly. I haven't had the bike up to top-end since I changed the sprocket's so I doubt you'd miss it unless you ride near 150 all the time
or 240Kph over there

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Pod99966 ]</p>

· Registered
321 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KJ1:
ummm for a real performance up grade
Put an 1100 motor in
muhahahaha

-karl
<hr></blockquote>

I have to disagree. I'd say remove rear sprocket and replace bike with a 2002 GSX-R1000 for real performance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.