Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 GSXR 750

Ok im trying to save me a some cash by doing all the work to my bike myself. Of course i don't work on bikes for a living i just ride them.. lol So my terminology my be off. But anyways im gonna try my best.

I purchased the vortex sprokets / RK 520 conversion and went -1 up front. The front sproket has one side that is really flat and smooth and the other side has a raised part on it that comes out a little. It looks to me that the flush flat side should be facing out and the raise side should go in first. Just wanna make sure.

Also the master link has a clip on it. I put closed end of the clip going with the chain as it moves forward. Will I have to worry about that clip falling off.. I read in a post here about useing a saftey wire or epoxy... But i wouldnt think i need that.

Thanks

I

·
Registered
580 Posts
the flat side goes toward the engine.I would rec a rivet link-but if you use the clip-the open end faces toward the back of the bike

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now im confused.. lol I just talked to the local shop and they told the the flat side go's away from the engine..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Sprocket question?

This is the reason the shop told me to put the raised end of the sproket towards the engine. They said it acts as a spacer to give the change some room and that the Flat side of the sprocket is flat so the washer will tighten down easy when the bolt is put back on. So i guess this is the way im going with.

·
Registered
580 Posts

once you get the front spocket on-whichever way you want-take a look from the rear sprocket towards the front sprocket & see if its a straight line-if not you know its on backwards.When I installed my sprocket set-the raised part faced away from the engine-Vortex-stock the raised part faced inwards.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks sweeney i did as you said and everything looks nice and lined up.. I seen exactly what you was talking about.. Thanks for the help!!!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts

i just did the same thing to my bike but i had the shop do it, i have a question though. when they put the chain on i think they used the clip deal to connect it instead of rivits cause i have a red chain and there is one black link with this clip thing on the out side.

is this anything i need to worrry about it. i thought the shop would do it the best way but i dont know if they did.

·
Registered
580 Posts

Rivet is the best way to go-the clips can fly off & resulting chain fly ca do a lot of damage.I would rec you take it back & request a rivet link

1 - 8 of 8 Posts