Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size front and rear sprockets you guys running for mainly track use? Stock is 17/45 with a 120 link 525 chain. I want to use a 520 chain kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
16/42, 118 links. This puts the axle a few mm back further than stock. 120 will put it almost all the way to the back, fyi.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I watched Van from Sportbiketrackgear.com recommend 16/41 with 118 link 520 chain. This puts the axel a little back and is slightly taller gearing. Check-out the video:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I run 16/45....you asked, I told you, now you tell me it is wrong. Don’t ask then.

It was recommenced to me by the team that run a British Superbike team and works for me just fine

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I run 16/45....you asked, I told you, now you tell me it is wrong. Don’t ask then.

It was recommenced to me by the team that run a British Superbike team and works for me just fine
You’re good man...I run the exact same set up it’s all preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sorry, mate. I didn't mean you were wrong. No worries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in the market for a sprocket/chain set.

I really like the stock gear ratio. It feels great for the street and has plenty in it for the track.

But I want something light but that will handle abuse. Any recommendations for size/brand?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry, mate. I didn't mean you were wrong. No worries.
no problem, was having a bad day yesterday...

I have been told that extending the wheel base by using a 16 front sprocket helps the geomentry. this needs to be done in conjunction with fork extenders on the non R model.

i cannot give a comparison as this is how I bought the bike with 242 miles on it

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages to this setup?
Smaller front sprocket= faster acceleration
Larger rear sprocket= faster acceleration
Both amount to less top end speed however...but you’ll get there quicker.

I run 118 links with 16/45 and the rear is pretty far back...

·
Registered
127 Posts
no problem, was having a bad day yesterday...

I have been told that extending the wheel base by using a 16 front sprocket helps the geomentry. this needs to be done in conjunction with fork extenders on the non R model.
I run 16/45 on the road and it's fun. Can I ask what the fork extenders are ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up going with a 520 conversion setup consisting of an EK 3D gold chain with 17/44 sprockets. So one tooth down on the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
right now i am running 16/42 and i ride @NYST but when i go to NJ Motorsports park i run 16/41 and i'm also running the 520 conversion

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I run 16/45 on the road and it's fun. Can I ask what the fork extenders are ?
Fork extenders are used to raise the front of the bike to alter the geometry.

I have them on my GSXR coupled with a raised rear as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts

if you look here you can see the extension to the top of the fork. On the non R model this allows you to raise the front

1 - 20 of 25 Posts