Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 99' gsx-r600 two days ago and it already has an exhaust system and a k&n filter on. i was told the only other performance upgrades to make were to change the sprockets. what do you guys reccommend? which brands and how many extra teeth should i go? also, doesnt the back sprocket go up in teeth and the fron down?
any help would be cool.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I would convert to a 520 chain and get a +3 in the rear... If you really want some more low end you could do something like -1f/+2r

John

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
You just got the bike. Sounds like you're following someone's advice rather than tuning to your liking.
Don't get me wrong though, the K&N + exhaust will do ya good.
But maybe get a feel for the bike before changing the sprockets?

I run stock sizes, front & rear, and am happy with them. Power is acceptable and I don't take a top speed hit. To each his own.

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
The only other upgrades are a sprocket change I laugh at that!
Turbo the bitch
High preformance Pistons
Big Bore kit
Thinner head gasket
the list is endless of what you can do to the bike, it is just how much money do you wanna spend
Muhahahahahaha

I went 2 up in the rear and am very happy with the change. Definatly gave me more power off the line

jontflesh

·
Registered
219 Posts
I went -1 in front with Renthal sprockets (520) and a DID X-Ring chain. I felt the difference right away, I would not change a thing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i shoulda mentioned that i meant bolt on upgrade. without having to tap into the engine. it sounds like the way to go would be +2 in the rear or maybe just -1 in the front. but i heard that -1 in the front causes some kind of damage to something.faster wear. is there any truth to this. i know i dont have a damn clue what it damages, but maybe someone else does. thanks.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
going -1 in front is the cheapest way to go, but it does wear the chain a tad faster.

I'd go +2 or +3 in the rear, with a 520 setup.

pretty sure your gearing is 16/45 right ? so maybe hit up 47 or 48 in the rear

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much does adding +2, +3 teeth in the rear affect the top speed? what speed would be too high with these sprocket changes. high 100's im hoping.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Taking one form the front is like adding about 3 in the rear. Advantage of taking one from the front is you can still use the stock number of links in the chain. adding 3 in the rear means a longer chain. RK makes a 520 acceleration kit that drops one in the front and comes with a nice vortex rear. It comes with both sprockets and a chain. I used this on my 97 750. Before I couldnt lift a wheelie in 3rd, now I can

1 - 10 of 10 Posts