Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a couple quick questions. I was planning on sticking a better chain and a new sprocket on my 99 GSXR 750. My question was if I go with a different size rear sprocket, will it set me speedo my off? What size should I go with in the rear? As I recall with my 600cc when I changed the rear it didn't seam to change anything on the speedo, but that was a few years ago and to be honest I don't remember. What chain do you recommend, I've always ran the DID with a clip style masterlink, but there's a lot more HP than on any of my 600's so I don't want to risk it, I know that's probably more of a preference issue than anything else.

Thanks again,

Scott Martin
1999 GSXR 750 RED/BLACK
Yosh Carbon Slip On

------------------

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
I have heard good things about the DID EVR2 race chain its dope but expensive (like $140 for just the chain itself). I just purchased a conversion set since I threw my chain.....I got an RK chain with Vortex sprockets......mine was the RK GB520SHO chain (you can get the regular, or gold chain, I got the gold thats the GB - good wear index and tensile strength for this chain). Mine changed the gearing to a 15/43 but I bet you can get diff sprocket combos for whatever gearing you want. Mine cost about the same as the DID EVR2 chain itself,,,,but I got a discount. the set came with stickers too

oh yeah, and whether or not you think you need it take off the countershaft cover and check your front sprocket for wear!!!! when you change a chain its kind of a rule of thumb (actually it says it in my Suzuki service manual) to get both new sprockets. you wouldn't want to prematurely wear out your new nice chain on a ragged sprocket would you?

------------------
1998 GSX-R750, what does "stock" mean ??

click here to see the results from the 2001 Olympic chain toss
click here to see some cool VIDEOS

[This message has been edited by jp233 (edited 03-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I figure I should be good on the front sprocket, I bought the bike this winter with 1900 miles on it, and have only put 1,000 on it since. I didn't want to get used to a new bike during rainy winter, so I ride my 600cc on the crappy days and the 750 on the nice days. But actually after reading your earlier post I thought it best if I spent the money on a new chain now rather than later as the stock chain is a little whimpy lookign compared to DID I have on my 600, which by the way I have gotten about 8K miles off of so far so I have no complaints, now if I change my front sprocket, then my speedo will definetely be off correct?

Thanks,

Scott Martin

------------------

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
I hear ya, but I think unless the front sprocket looks pristine I'd change it. I just had my chain snap on me and I am not going to [email protected] around when it comes to chain/sprockets anymore. As far as the speedo goes, if you keep the same gearing it won't be affected. There is some lieel "yellow box" that corrects for speedo errors, I've read places, but am not sure exactly what its all about..... Jeff? try searching posts for "yellow box" and it'll come up

------------------
1998 GSX-R750, what does "stock" mean ??

click here to see the results from the 2001 Olympic chain toss
click here to see some cool VIDEOS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts