Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came from the shop. My mechanic suggested to put 16 - in front and a 45 in the rear. What do u guys think before I ok it. I feel my bike revs way to hard on the highway. I cruise doing 75-80 And it just feels like Iam working the motor to hard. So what do u think of the gearing combo.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I printed out the chart but I really don't understand how extreme the numbers are when changed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
mine is almost stock at 14/48. I had a 45 on the rear when I first got the 5.5 inch rear, and it cruised nicely, but it was slow(my friend would barely beat me in roll ons on his VTR). I went to the 14/48, and it rocks(buh-bye VTR).

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Originally posted by karl_1052:
mine is almost stock at 14/48. I had a 45 on the rear when I first got the 5.5 inch rear, and it cruised nicely, but it was slow(my friend would barely beat me in roll ons on his VTR). I went to the 14/48, and it rocks(buh-bye VTR).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hear ya!

my bike came with a 14/45 and it was a dog off the line

I will be running 14/49 when it gets back on the road

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Originally posted by OilCooler92:
That looks like quite a change.

You would be going from stock 15/48 (3.20:1) to 16/45 (2.81:1)

Maybe try a 16 with the 48 first and bring it to 3.00:1

Maybe this chart will help... sprocket ratio chart

-Dave
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can't disagree with this but surely you should be wheelying everywhere on a 14 tooth front and not going up to 16.

Maybe you need a Hardly Dangerous custom thing instead ?

Andy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I intend to do some long highway riding and a bit of city. You think I should stay with the stock 15 and go 45 in the rear

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'd definitely reccomend staying with the stock gearing. I went +2 on my rear sprocket, and I'm pulling 5K RPM at 75mph... *definitely* not "working the motor too hard"
I still get between 35 and 40mpg most of the time, and the thing wheelies like *crazy* now. I really like the extra acceleration and torque that I got out of the +2 on the rear, and there's *no way* I'd want to go the other way on the gearing (from stock).

...that's my .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts