Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have the stock gearing and original chain. I do alot of highway riding and i feel it revs a bid to much for cruising speeds 65-70. What do u suggest I do. Just leave to factory setting or is it alright to change gearing. Should I leave the front and change the back or change the front and leave the back or change them both to diffrent sizes. What sizes should I use. What is the difrence when chooseing to change the front or choosing the back. Any recommend a good trouble free chain. Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you want it you run at a lower rpm while cruising you would go up in the front or down in the back. Good rule of thumb is 3 down in the rear is the equivelent of 1 up in the front or visa versa. Remember that if you go up one in the front it will shorten your wheel base and down in the back will lengthen it unless you compensate with the # of links in the new chain. Here is a sprocket ratio chart to help with your decision. Sprocket Ratio Chart

-Dave

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
What are your RPM's at 65-70? 4500 rpm is fine. My 88 is geared at 13/45 (gives a 3.46 ratio and keeps the short wheel base) it is the equal of having a 15/51 or 14/48 gears. The 90 has a 14/45 gears for a 3.21 ratio for a little higher crusing speed at a lower RPM. Just mix and match until you get the numbers you want. Take the rear sproket and divide by the front. That will give you a drive ratio. The lower the number the higher the speed but weaker the takeoff, Higher the number the better take-off but lower the top end due to the higher RPM's
Bones

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Think it revs at 5000 at 70. I have to check today. I dpnt under the whole ratio thing. Is it better to keep the base short. So what do u suggest for bringing the cruise rev down a bit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts