Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I was having trouble getting a clear answer on this...
I have an 09gsxr 600 currently with stock front n rear sprockets n stock chain....what i want to accomplish in changing them is the following....obviously a quicker acceleration response in low end but also when bringing the front wheel up i can only do it in first which is great but higher speed highways r a lil difficult in first... i was thinking -1/+2 but I'm not sure if that's gonna get it up in 2nd but at the same time i don't want to destroy the bikes top end by going up +8 in the rear...i also don't need it to 12 o'clock on me every time i open up in 1st... if it makes any difference i clutch up power wheelies are not my thing...
thanks for the help boys

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
go -1 +2, i did it and although wheelies and stuff werent my main concern, it did help in terms of getting it up in 2nd. Top end will of course, as you already know, go down, but as long as you are riding street that wont (or shouldnt) matter to you.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mferg-tsr I appreciate the input and if you dont mind just a few questions.....Approximately how much top end difference? And wheelie portion....Basically I wont have any issues getting it up in 2nd with that set up or is it gonna still take a lot of body wieght effort etc.?

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
mferg-tsr I appreciate the input and if you dont mind just a few questions.....Approximately how much top end difference? And wheelie portion....Basically I wont have any issues getting it up in 2nd with that set up or is it gonna still take a lot of body wieght effort etc.?
well with my speedo corrected using the speedoDRD from motomummy, i have saved 134 as my top speed...im sure i couldve still continued to go faster than that but that was all i had in me whenever it was i did that (i dont remember it just got recorded). So thats why i say if your riding street it wont be that much of an issue.

Also i do stagard stand up when and if i ever do a wheelie (which is rare) but before it was a huuuuge pain in the ass to get the front wheel up in 2nd gear doing this (stagard is left foot on rear peg and right foot on front peg if you didnt know) and since the re gear its a lot easier. Also the added acceleration in itself is very nice...i wouldnt go back to stock gearing even if it was free.

·
Registered
175 Posts
just go -1 in front and leave the back alone, it will help it pop better in second for your highway biker boy wheelies and you can still look cool with a stock rear sprocket. I can clutch my 07 600 up in 3rd on stock sprockets no problem so it really ISN'T your gearing. It's rider error. KEEP PRACTCING!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
just go -1 in front and leave the back alone, it will help it pop better in second for your highway biker boy wheelies and you can still look cool with a stock rear sprocket. I can clutch my 07 600 up in 3rd on stock sprockets no problem so it really ISN'T your gearing. It's rider error. KEEP PRACTCING!!!!!!!!
hell ya me to I could get my 600 up in 3rd too :cheers

and -1 will work great for what you want to do

·
Registered
54 Posts
depends on what speed you want to do your wheelies at. If you want to do parking lot stuff, go with a 60 tooth rear but say goodbye to your freeway stuff.

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
As you get a smaller front sprocket or a larger rear sprocket you gain bottom end and loose your top end speed. So if you do a 60T rear sprocket your bike will top out at like 100mph or so. So you're gonna be screaming at high rpm's in 6th gear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So what's the best to get if I want to get it up but still want to drive in freeway bc isn't that bad to drive in high rpm for a long time

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just put a 520 chain and -1 +2 and speedoDRD from motomummy and in 6th gear going 60 mphs im at 6k, at 70mphs im at 7k and so forth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
Stitch6203
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing