Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so I started out with 16tooth front sprocket, and a 43 tooth rear on my 96' Gix750. I just put a 15-tooth front on, and a 45-tooth rear. I know this pretty radical for change as I was looking not for a wheelie machine persay, but more lower midrange punch all the way through. I knew I'd sacrifice some off the top end.. but man! Now I'm looking at (est. 70-75mph) when my speedo's reading 105mph! Wow. So that's quite a difference. That and my tach is now reading at that speed to 7500-7800 rpm's roughly. Can the speedo be recalibrated? Or should I just stick the 16 tooth back on the front, or do a 44 tooth rear instead, or .... man, I'm clueless. ???? I may just play around with combos I suppose. My friend had a 16 tooth front and 45 tooth rear and was able to wheelie on his 98'Gix750 at like 3k-rpms, and had mad top end left still. Yet, I never got the impression that his speedo was so off. Is dropping that front sprocket down one tooth all that difference? I need to know some fact founded opinions.

Thanks!
~Ben
[email protected]

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, I got an email from John with good info... If you all want to give your experiences.. then it's good shared info as well.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
WOW that is a lot... I am off by about 4$ and I have +3 in the rear with a 180/55/17 supercorsa...

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, my actual is closest estimated to 10-12mph higher in the speedo. I've gotten used to the setup for the most part.. but, I think that I'm going to drop one tooth in the rear and I think that with this if I swap to the 16 Front then it will be closest to stock again. I figure the difference is that I either stay in lower gear and rap it out higher, and just a little longer.. or run out of gear quicker. That's all I've noticed. Yeah, I can wheelie like a champ now.. but I'm into speed more somewhat. Not entirely as I'm more into cornering than anything. But, I may just keep the 15 front and do like 44 in the rear.

Man it's hard to decide sometimes isn't it?! LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts