Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what sprocket combos can i use keeping the stock chain? will i be able to go -1 in the front only?. and do you order them from the dealer? or is there a good web site? thanks..

·
Registered
204 Posts
i went with -1 front/ +1 rear. 520 regina chain. Much lighter than stock. You will loose some tip end but low/mid is much nicer around town/track and canyons.

·
Premium Member
26,775 Posts
what sprocket combos can i use keeping the stock chain? will i be able to go -1 in the front only?. and do you order them from the dealer? or is there a good web site? thanks..
You could probably go -1f and +1r and still be ok.

Hit up Mike at www.heatwavecycles.com (he's a site sponsor).

njracer

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
i fit -1 +2 on a stock chain that had a mediocre amount of miles on it. You won't get -1 +3 though. But of coarse you can also just do -1 if you want or -1 +2, or just +1 MAYBE +2 alone.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Try a -1 on the front before you go all out. You will be very pleased. I put on a vortex 15 tooth on the front with the stock chain and it really made a difference on the low and mid range and it doesn't really effect your top end too much.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
ya I think any 6 or 750 can benefit with atleast -1. For the 600 i might add another tooth or 2 on the rear.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sorry real quick question. Not trying to steal the thread. I bought the vortex 520 sprocket kit (-1f,+2b)but sold it to a friend that was going to install it right away. I sold it to him for what I bought it for. Now that im looking at this thread, can i just buy a 525 -1 front sprocket and it should be fine on my stock chain? My bike has 9000 miles on it. Or should I just buy the same setup that I bought before with the new RK chain?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a 05 600..... has 4k miles on it.... i was told that getting -1f/+1 or 2b will help out my performance alot.... anyone advise me to do it?? im planning on keeping the stock chain..... but if anyone has any suggestions on good sprockets and chain....... can you help me out?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've got a 15 tooth Vortex on mine with the stock chain. It is the best mod I've done to date. -1 on the front really makes a noticable difference in the low and mid range but it doesn't kill your top end too bad. You can get a good 15 tooth for around 25 bucks shipped. Try www.kneedraggers.com.
My advice would be to drop on the front first and see how you like it. At 7,000 rpms and up my 600 feels way stronger in 1st and 2nd and it will pull the front tire up with nothing more than cruising at 7 grand and twisting around to WOT, no clutching or chopping the throttle. -1 +2 on the may be more than you bargain for since your throttle control is magnified greatly, especially when coming out of corners. But hey it's a free world do what suits you, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
170 Posts
15 tooth vortex it is!... just ordered mine. Hey DMB350, How difficult would you rate the installation? 1 - 5 ...... 5 being hardest.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would rate it a 3
Below is a list of items you may or may not have that you will need before you start:
Stands or a stand for the rear, a long-handled torque wrench, standard set of metric sockets, a 36mm socket for the swing arm nut (loosen the rear wheel and slide it forward), a 32mm socket for the front sprocket nut, some high temp red loc-tite, a short piece of 2x4 wrapped in a towel to keep the rear wheel from moving, and a new cotter pin for the swing arm nut after you're done. That's about it, get everything you need ahead of time (torque specs also) and it should take you about 1 1/2 to 2 hours if you've never done this kind of thing before. Just take your time. Plenty of guys here who can help you if you get lost
. If you get stuck P.M. me and I'll talk you through it.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
first timer tricky of coarse. after that, pretty easy.

so give yourself plenty of time, and remember - its only your life if something gets jacked

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Yes it is 45 for the 600.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts