Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a lift table for doing maintenance work on my GSX-R 600.

I have seen lift tables that are capable of lifting 1000-1500 lbs and are designed for very large motorcycles. That is more than I need. I would like a lift table that is specifically designed for sportbikes with no excess capacity. It has to be a lift table though. I would not go for a tool based on different concept for lifting my bike.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
The Harbor Freight motorcycle lift table works well. They are usually available for about $330 with a coupon or if you wait for Black Friday for a little closer to $300. The front chock is garbage and is usually replaced with a roll in chock. If you use a Condor or Condor clone roll in chock, you can use front and rear stands on the lift table so you can get both the front and rear end in the air at the same time. I own 3 of these as well as 3 Handy lift tables.

·
Registered
03 Gsxr1000
149 Posts
3662D8BB-9C25-40D8-B5B3-4229B6BDFA61.jpeg

DB0C5B45-EFA9-457E-A0B3-7FE61F01F94D.jpeg
DB0C5B45-EFA9-457E-A0B3-7FE61F01F94D.jpeg

Do not get the cheap Chinese harbor freight type crap. I had one with my dirt bike on it. Next morning the bike still strapped on lift laying on its side.
You have to figure a new bike is 20g’s and the lift is going to be more than a few thousand for quality and long time service .

Best and easiest lift to use. Electric hydraulic .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Harbor Freight motorcycle lift table works well. They are usually available for about $330 with a coupon or if you wait for Black Friday for a little closer to $300. The front chock is garbage and is usually replaced with a roll in chock. If you use a Condor or Condor clone roll in chock, you can use front and rear stands on the lift table so you can get both the front and rear end in the air at the same time. I own 3 of these as well as 3 Handy lift tables.

Thanks for your recommendation. The lift table looks certainly good value for the money. It is a bit on the large and heavy side though.
I already own both the Pit-Bull front and rear stands and I am wondering if I need the chock. When I work on the rear wheel, the chock will provide additional safety, but when I work on the front wheel, the chock will need to come off anyway. Am I correct?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Thanks for your recommendation. The lift table looks certainly good value for the money. It is a bit on the large and heavy side though.
I already own both the Pit-Bull front and rear stands and I am wondering if I need the chock. When I work on the rear wheel, the chock will provide additional safety, but when I work on the front wheel, the chock will need to come off anyway. Am I correct?
You're correct.

A front chock or wheel clamp is a convenience which makes it easier to safely put a motorcycle on a lift table. In general, lift tables are not wide enough for a motorcycle to sit on its side stand when the bike is in the center of the lift table. A chock or wheel clamp makes it easy to hold a bike upright in the center of a lift table while you strap it down or put the rear of the bike up on a rear swingarm lift. If you have a rear facing handle rear Pit Bull stand, having a roll in chock or wheel clamp is highly recommended. It makes loading a bike on the table much easier.

If you have a forward handle rear Pit Bull stand, you should be aware that neither the Harbor Freight, nor a Handy table without the widening wings is wide enough for the handle of the rear stand to be solidly on the table. To make sure the forward facing handle sits solidly on the table I've made plywood wideners for the stand handles for both my HF and Handy lift tables.

With respect to the HF table being on the heavy side, you have to realize the HF table weight about half what a Handy lift table weighs. With roughly the same footprint, the extra weight is one of the reasons a Handy table is more stable than a HF table. A lighter lift table would need to have a larger foot print to be as stable.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
A Harbor Freight table will get the job done unless you are a professional mechanic. There is not much to go wrong other than the hydraulic pump. They are not perfect. I have had 3 but I used them way more than a normal person. They don't always sit perfectly level. If your bike falls off it, then its something you did or didn’t do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts