Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 gixxer 600. the guy i bought it from put a 190 rear tire on and cahnged the sprocket. could the sprocket or larger tire cause my speedometer to give an incorrect speed. i ask because i was on the highway the other day with some friends. and since i knew how to get to where we were going i was up front. i thought i was doing about 80mph. but it seemed like cars were just wizzing by me. when we stopped i asked them how fast we were going and no one really payed any attention. any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
buy a GPS device and mount it to youre bike it will tell you exactly how fast you are going its a bit pricey but if you're out and about and happen to come across a good riding place you can store it as a way point and if you ever forget how to get there just look at the way point on the GPS device. Or just have someone follow you again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks PIKA, but were can i find one thats actually small enought o fit on the bike without looking bulky?

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
A 190 isn't exactly a great choice for a rear tire. Anyway, it is possible that the size is affecting your speed, and same goes for the sprockets. Sportbike speedos aren't accurate anyway. They will always show a speed a little faster than actual. Larger tire and a larger sprocket ratio will increase the error. You can get a speedo healer and calibrate it to fix your error.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 190 isn't exactly a great choice for a rear tire.
very true. it was on the bike when i bought it. sucks in turning. i'll be going back to a 180 very soon. i'll check on that speedo healer. any suggested manufacturers?

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Just search the word "speedo healer" on google. Then look for the best deal. I got mine from my local shop, where they hook me up with discounts all the time. Should be less than $100.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Yep. Just calibrate it for whatever percentage it is off.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i know scott at bluegauges.com sells a speedo healer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts