Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i recently replaced my front and rear sprockets, I now have a 14 f 45 r. I researched the stock sprockets for my bike, because i figured that was the configuration that it was already in, well I was wrong. I dont remember what was on my bike before, i think maybe 17-18 in the front and around 48 in the rear, but now that i already installed the sprockets, my speedo isnt giving me the right speed that im driving at. I called a local suzuki dealer and asked where the speedo was on an 07 GSXR 750 and the person said it was based off the front tire spin. Can anyone confirm this? I did a little test run with a friend and she was driving at 55mph, i was somewhere around 75-80 on my speedometer. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
The stock speedo is off from 6%-10% from the factory. Get a Speedohealer or SpeedoDRD and calibrate it if it bothers you.

Just know that you are off by a %, not a specific mph, so the faster you go, the more error there will be. At 55mph you are actually only going 49.5mph, and it 80mph you are going 72mph.

Got it?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Stock sprockets for your bike are 17/43 I think... Check out www.motomummy.com, they have a list of what the stock sprockets are for every bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aha Anthony, i purchased my sprockets from motomummy. It does bother me quite a bit, i dont want to get pulled over because my speed is all screwed if you know what i mean. thank you guys for the help, I just cant believe the person at the dealership was ignorant to the fact that the front wheel wasnt where the speedo was. I appreciate the help again!

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
If it makes you feel better, if we are talking about factory speedometer error, your speedometer will read lower than actual speed. So doubt cops will raise an issue aside from thinking how safety conscious you are about your speed.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
aha Anthony, i purchased my sprockets from motomummy. It does bother me quite a bit, i dont want to get pulled over because my speed is all screwed if you know what i mean. thank you guys for the help, I just cant believe the person at the dealership was ignorant to the fact that the front wheel wasnt where the speedo was. I appreciate the help again!
You will get pulled over for going too slow, not too fast, so don't worry.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
You will get pulled over for going too slow, not too fast, so don't worry.
Where do you live 'cause I'm gonna move there. Here in Texas you get pulled over for going too fast and only too slow if you are ridiculously slow like 30-40 below speedlimit.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
I got pulled over in Texas in a rental for 75 in a 55 in 2005 by a state trooper. I was going from Austin to Dallas. He was so polite and only issued me with a compliance notice. I was really impressed with the wording on the compliance notice, it was also very polite. I kept if for a memento.

Sorry to be off topic. Couldn't help but remember the incident.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it makes you feel better, if we are talking about factory speedometer error, your speedometer will read lower than actual speed. So doubt cops will raise an issue aside from thinking how safety conscious you are about your speed.
ok so what you're saying is, my speedometer will read under my actual speed? does anyone know the % I need to calculate how fast im going?

·
The Husbeast
1,318 Posts
gearingcommander.com will help you with fingering it out.

And, you are traveling slower than indicated, not faster.

According to gearing commander you are reading about 18% higher than actual.

·
Juggernaut FTRMC
440 Posts
ok so what you're saying is, my speedometer will read under my actual speed? does anyone know the % I need to calculate how fast im going?
your speedometer will read higher than youre going. guessing, based on your sprockets, maybe 15% get out a gps like tomtom or garmin, put in on your bike, and figure out the difference in speed.

I usually gear my bikes based on the speedo. It keeps me from having to purchase a speedohealer.

Many do like running different gears and in those cases, a speedohealer will make your life better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, speedo IS run off your front wheel/tire. These misleading comments are infecting our biker minds 🧟‍♂️
Run your bike on a dyno - 0 miles added no matter the amount of time(or ride on back wheel only - your choice). Gearing only changes rpm in relation to speed (which is the whole point)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, speedo IS run off your front wheel/tire. These misleading comments are infecting our biker minds 🧟‍♂️
Run your bike on a dyno - 0 miles added no matter the amount of time(or ride on back wheel only - your choice). Gearing only changes rpm in relation to speed (which is the whole point)
Do you realize the possibility of WRONG your post was?

For instance, my bike's speedo runs off the sensor- located in the Counter sprocket cover. motor turns, real wheel turns, indicates speed. Sprocket changes do change the speed, mileage, etc.
Some bike do tun off the front wheel. And/or the sensot for the Traction control, etc.
I watched my bike hit the speed limiter of 186- while on the dyno. Front wheel was pretty dern still.

You also stoked up a 6yr old post. Nice work

·
Registered
53 Posts
The stock speedo is off from 6%-10% from the factory. Get a Speedohealer or SpeedoDRD and calibrate it if it bothers you.

Just know that you are off by a %, not a specific mph, so the faster you go, the more error there will be. At 55mph you are actually only going 49.5mph, and it 80mph you are going 72mph.

Got it?
yeah digital speedos arent the greatest. Have seen others have good luck with the Speeohealer. Mine only goes off the reservation after it thinks its doing 150mph. The 750 thinks it has just a little more to give at 188mph. it's whetever. I dont pay attention to anything but the tach lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts