Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way to recalibrate the stock speedo for different gears? i've got 1 down 2 up right now and i just got new sprockets - same in front, 5 up in rear. Its gonna be off by like 30mph which is gonna be annoying

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Get a yellowbox...
Check the group buys people have them.. I also think there is a link to them in the links page... Black robotics I think is the company.

John

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
for all digital speedos, think it plugs into the speed sensor connectors or something.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Originally posted by Melampus...:
#1: Does anyone know the formula for corrected speed after changing sprockets?

#2: Does anyone know what the +/- tolerance is on the stock speedo? When it reads 100mph w/stock tires, what are we really doing?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">#1) It depends on what size sprockets you came from, and are changing to.

#2) You can count on at least a 5% error on the stock speedo, with stock sprockets, wheels, tires and average chain.

Originally posted by DieTrying:
is there any way to recalibrate the stock speedo for different gears? i've got 1 down 2 up right now and i just got new sprockets - same in front, 5 up in rear. Its gonna be off by like 30mph which is gonna be annoying
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well if you are going 5 up in the rear, your stock speedo will be almost useless
... as John said, get a YellowBox --- click HERE for the info.

[ 01-03-2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: migz123 ]

·
Registered
265 Posts
#1: Does anyone know the formula for corrected speed after changing sprockets?

#2: Does anyone know what the +/- tolerance is on the stock speedo? When it reads 100mph w/stock tires, what are we really doing?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
what you can do is goto bike shop and buy a speedo that goes on a bike the sigma something (check the tips and tricks )it will tell you exactly your speed

·
Registered
645 Posts
How about riding next to a couple different people, and look over at their speedos! hehe Also... remember that you can't adequately correct your high mph speed readings. There's no guage adequate enough to accurately read top end runs. Only a cop can tell you how fast your going when breaking the law. LOL I did one down front and up one in rear and I'm like 5mph slower at up to 45mph and when going 60+ it goes between reading 10 to 13mph faster than what I'm really going. I'm almost thinking of just going back to a 16 tooth front and just building my motor for a lot more hp to make up the difference in lower speed immediate accelerations.

·
Registered
265 Posts
AUDI,
Thank you sir. I went over to "tips & tricks" as suggetsed, and saw what you explained. Looks interesting, and for $30 definitely something to consider. I think the "yellow-box" may be a little more interesting though due to it's ability to correct the stock speedo, hence correcting odometer error as well.

DANUK, Now when you say "digital speedo". Do you mean digital read-out, or digital speed sensor? From the sounds of it, you mean a digital read-out; meaning my '96 would not accept this "yellow box"?

MIGZ,
Thank you for answering the error question, and I do realize that as gearing changes the formula changes respectively. If someone did have this formula available for us, it would hypothetically read something like, and keep in mind that these factors are totally arbitrary used to illustrate my point.

@50mph @75mph @100mph @125mph @150mph
w/44T v(.095) v(.093) v(.092) v(.091) v(.09)
w/45T v(.092) v(.09) v(.088) v(.086) v(.084)

96GIXX7FITTY,
I don't know about running next to someone that my have similar error, but what I've done at low speed at least is try to find one of those mobile radar stations the pigs set-up on the side of the road and compare readings. I'm just concerned about if they actually send a signal to patrol if they read anything over a pre-determined speed. Then again if you buzz one at 150mph, I doubt they'll know were the hell you are in 60 seconds anyway!

[ 01-04-2003, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Melampus... ]

·
Registered
21 Posts
the yellow box will work on your bike, goto www.blackrobotics.com i've lowered my gearing on my 98 gsxr and rode it next to my brother who has one of these boxes on his bike(which has lowered gearing too) mine reads about 15-20mph out to his and his is spot on. One other problem is im adding more miles on than im actually doing,
so i should get one

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
here are the errors, based on 17/42 stock gearing:

·
Registered
265 Posts
MIGZ,
Good find! What site?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Originally posted by Melampus...:
MIGZ,
Good find! What site?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I made that earlier this year using some simple excel --

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally posted by migz123:
[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I made that earlier this year using some simple excel
Is there a site where you derived all your raw info, or book, or...? Doesn't your bike run 16/46 stock?

[ 01-05-2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Melampus... ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts