Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first off, first post. High everybody!

Next off, I am asking if anybody here has ever had a similar experience with an SV or other bike:
My bike is an '02 SV650S, silver, with just over 10200 miles on it. Last week my odometer went out. It was annoying because it took the tripmeter too (I think it needed gas, but knowing I would have to delve into the guts, I decided not to gas 'er up to keep the tank weight down), but not critical. Further down the road, the speedo decided to follow it. Not good. I spent the weekend tearing apart most of the electrical connectors and the dash, cleaning up contacts but finding no obvious issues. Unfortunately, I did not trace for a short (don't have much electrical experience, I will freely admit that).

The problem persisted. Then the speedo started giving me funny readings. I would start up, follow behind my dad's Sporty and be indicating 30. Stop, start up again, and suddenly I would see 90 in 1st! Today I finally packed it in and delivered the machine to the professionals at the dealer.

Has anybody else ever had this problem? It seems really bizarre, but this is my first bike with digital/electronic readouts. The sad thing is, this SV seems to break something every 5000 miles (so far), and I bought it because of their reputation for reliability!

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
I had the same problem on mine (but with 45K miles or so) and couldn't find the reason. Then, by coincidence, I noticed the CDI plug (the CDI is the black box located under the rear seat right in front of the rear light) had come a little loose. I pushed it in and everything works now
Try that, maybe cleaning the plug too...

Apart from that, I haven't had any problems - with 50K miles on it...

·
Registered
548 Posts
I tightened my front axle too tight and smashed my seedo sending unit... It's pricy, but have that looked at. $115 for that stupid peice of plastic

1 - 3 of 3 Posts