Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the person I bought the bike from lowered the front sprocket by 2 teeth and my speedo is off... how can I fix it, without going back to a stock sprocket

·
I am a tater tot; young, not stout. Here is my bab
11,321 Posts

·
Deceptively Fast
426 Posts
If you accept GPS as the gold standard, the speedometer on my 2011 GSX-R750 L1 is inaccurate with stock gearing. When the GPS says 55 mph, the bike's speedometer says 59 mph. The bike senses the front sprocket rpm and calculates mph. If my bike's gearing was lowered with a smaller front sprocket or bigger rear sprocket, the speedometer would be even more inaccurate (for the same front sprocket rpm, the rear wheel would be spinning less, and the real speed would be lower).

One problem with smaller cogs (on some bikes) is that the lowered top run of the chain can wear the swingarm chain guard (the plastic piece between the top run of the chain and the swingarm, not the guard above the chain). I had a Triumph Speed 4 that would eat chain guards and the solution was bigger front and rear cogs (same final drive ratio).

·
Schlong Swallower
889 Posts

·
I am a tater tot; young, not stout. Here is my bab
11,321 Posts
I've never used either but It is always good to support a site sponsor and motomummy has free shipping, fast shipping, and very good prices so i say listen to steve.
:cheers
the SpeedoDRD is so easy to install and program it's ridiculous. I thought that it was gonna be a pain, but when I got it on i thought, really? that easy? wow. It works great too.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Before you think about the DRD versus the Healer, get the facts. "Does the same thing only cheaper" is NOT accurate in our opinion:
http://calsportbike.com/sh/speedohealer_vs_speedodrd.html

I have nothing against supporting someone if they're your "shop of choice", but then again, we've been around gixxer.com since 2002 and we still support the members...even if we're not as active here as some shops...

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I have a Speedohealer on mine and is very simple. The only prob I ever had with it is sometimes my speedo jumps all over the place bcuz of bad connection from the plug adapter to the box. I just haver to unplug it then put it back in, then all fixed.

Had any of you speedohealer people have this prob at times?

Other than that issue, I love it.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,421 Posts
My 9 year old son installed my SpeedoDRD. I read the comparison website and I think it's greatly biased, but does have valid points. I just think all the negative things they say about the SpeedoDRD still don't justify the price difference.

I thought it was funny that one of the first things they say is about the long lead and keeping it away from water. Then go on to say "completely water proof". Ok.... so which part matters?

IMHO. The small size of the DRD makes it easier to install and conceal. There is no way water is going to get into this thing unless the bike is submerged. The little circuit board is extremely tough, so it doesn't need protection. Vibrations will travel through the hard case of the speedohealer, so that's a mute point. And for ease of programming? How often do you need to reprogram? Basicly, all the extra "features" offered don't add any real value.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have a Speedohealer on mine and is very simple. The only prob I ever had with it is sometimes my speedo jumps all over the place bcuz of bad connection from the plug adapter to the box. I just haver to unplug it then put it back in, then all fixed.

Had any of you speedohealer people have this prob at times?

Other than that issue, I love it.
If there is any bad connection, inspect the plugs for any bent pins and spray some WD-40 in the plugs. (This is basically true for any electronic device on the bike). If the problem persists, contact us for warranty replacement.

·
Registered
352 Posts
:cheers
the SpeedoDRD is so easy to install and program it's ridiculous. I thought that it was gonna be a pain, but when I got it on i thought, really? that easy? wow. It works great too.
+1 on the speedoDRD
small, simple to install and program

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 9 year old son installed my SpeedoDRD. I read the comparison website and I think it's greatly biased, but does have valid points. I just think all the negative things they say about the SpeedoDRD still don't justify the price difference.

I thought it was funny that one of the first things they say is about the long lead and keeping it away from water. Then go on to say "completely water proof". Ok.... so which part matters?

IMHO. The small size of the DRD makes it easier to install and conceal. There is no way water is going to get into this thing unless the bike is submerged. The little circuit board is extremely tough, so it doesn't need protection. Vibrations will travel through the hard case of the speedohealer, so that's a mute point. And for ease of programming? How often do you need to reprogram? Basicly, all the extra "features" offered don't add any real value.
This and the price is why I went with SpeedoDRD. Works great.

·
Insert Here
94 Posts
That test seems pretty bias. One thing that bothers me about the test is that you have the top speed recall button disconnected. This would leave a big gaping hole in the unit. That would be like taking off the protective plastic on the DRD. I would imagine that it wouldn't fair as well if that happened. Also does the DRD take off the top speed limiter on the bike? I ask because the speedo healer does.

Edit. The top speed elimination won't work for Suzuki's. You would still need a tre. It does work for Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda though.

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
A speedohealer doesn't eliminate the top speed limiter on the bike. That is done with a TRE (a mute point on a 600/750 as it can't reach the speed limiter anyway). A speedomoeter corrective device and a TRE are two very different things. Also the speedohealer claims it's 100% weatherproof. SpeedoDRD fully enclosed their unit as they realized it's the best way to protect it from water, not that it's needed in sportbikes, but they sell a ton of their units to dirtbike owners. Guys have fully submerged their bikes or damn close and to date there isn't one issue and this vid shows why. They did a pretty basic test really. Hard to be bias when both units, sold in their standard form, had the same thing done to them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts