Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! A strange thing happened to my instrument cluster yesterday. The bike was sitting on the garage for three days only when i tried to start it up yesterday the tacho did not turn on and there was no display on the speedo, all other warning lights are working and had checked all fuses and they are good. I am sure they worked last time I used the bike and the bike has been untouched since then.
I tried to reach all the wiring connectors at the right-hand side of the bike under the air ducts, they are also all clean and good. Also removed the panel gauge assembly to inspect the connections at the back and had a look inside to check if there is a burn on the circuit board, seen nothing wrong there.

I found out about this same problem on this thread:
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259806&highlight=dead+tach
but it was for a different year model

Anyone else experienced this problem or know how to test if the wiring about what went wrong in the first place? I am worrying about buying another unit and having it fried again. The bike is a 2002 1000 and has a power commander3 installed other than that no other modifications has been done with the wiring. Thanks!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also want to add that when ignition key is turned on the backlight of the gauge cluster is lit up but no display on the lcd and no tach movement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cai
3,250 Posts
1) check fuses
2) check wiring & connectors (you can try to disconnect and connect again your cluster. that could restore bad connection)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked all the fuses and they are good I have also checked all the connectors with multi tester to see if there a good connection on each wire and it all checked ok.

·
Registered
507 Posts
OP: You didn't say in your post if the bike started or not?
If it didn't start or didn't click....check the battery voltage...maybe your battery has died...or you have a short in the system draining the battery slowly.
If battery V ok, and it starts...do you have a buddy with one of these bikes? Maybe you can try to connect your guages into his bike?

·
Registered
96 Posts
My bike had the same problem, pull the right side fairing off, check your connectors, unplug them and look to see if any have ovheated and melted a bit, if so clip the wire that has melted and bypass the factory connector. i believe it was the ground wire on mine that got hot but its works fine now...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
does your tail light work?
Something alike happened ot my friend today. Nothing lights up int he cluster, all fuses are fine. Bike runs, but only the headlight and high beams work.
No tail light
No brake light
No inst. cluster.
Of course, when you put the bike in lock park, the tail light works as do the turning signals. So something must have blown on the main switch control.........

·
Registered
10 Posts
could this be regulator/rectifier problem? have a friend bike doing same thing but its actually a 01 sv. everybody seems to be leaning towards that. bike starts an runs fine, just everything on cluster out an all lights, horn only thing works is headlight. i know its not gsxr but seems to be same problem. all fuses an wiring check ok..

·
Registered
149 Posts
gixxerron, did you ever find a solution to this problem? Im having the same issue with my 02 1k. The backlight, neutral, signal, high beam lights work. Nothing shows up on the LCD and the Tach needle doesnt move. I have checked all connections. No corrosion, no melted plugs, no loose wires. I am at a loss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never found any other problems with the bike. I just replaced the gauge assembly with a used one I got on Ebay and its working fine now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks, sadly I think that is what I may have to do. I was told by a retired suzuki tech that my aftermarket HID's "blew a diode" in the gauge cluster assembly. Anyone ever hear of this happening before with an 02 1k? Apparently the amperage of the bike isn't enough to support HIDs....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an 04 gsxr600 a couple days ago. Im gtting the c28 code and the bikes in limp mode. Well after searching I figured the half assed installed hid lights could have caused a problem. Today I uninstalled the hids after putting my bike together the lcd is blank. Backlight only and turn signal flashers nothing else. The battery is good bike ran before I did this but now it wont start either. The engine turns over but wont start. I checked the wiribg harness under the left fairing and it checks out. Any ideas? Other people with a similar problem say their bike runs still or its the battery. Im positive my battery is fine. Any ideas please?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something alike happened ot my friend today. Nothing lights up int he cluster, all fuses are fine. Bike runs, but only the headlight and high beams work.
No tail light
No brake light
No inst. cluster.
Of course, when you put the bike in lock park, the tail light works as do the turning signals. So something must have blown on the main switch control.........
does anyone have the answer to this issue? k6 1000 no tail lights, turn signals and instrument cluster not working. all fuses good, bike runs and only head lights work...please help:dunno

·
Registered
170 Posts
No tail light
No brake light
No inst. cluster.
Hey man, I have exactly the same thing as your mate - where is the main switch control and how do I fix it? My bike runs, but no dash or lights. In my case I have a pretty good idea what blew it - I have two exposed wires of unknown origin under the pillion seat and I inadvertently shorted them as I chucked a pair of gloves there (needless to say that they have now been insulated).

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,966 Posts
Your profile says K6. Is that what it is? What mods? What are the colors of the wires under the pillion seat that shorted? I'm guessing that they're for the license plate light but need some specifics.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
There is a common problem with KI Harness Connectors behind the front right cowl !

Take the right hand fairing cover off. Under the right hand inlet duct are three connectors one is not water resistant and water runs down the harness and corrodes out the connectors.

This issue comes up often

1 - 20 of 29 Posts