Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Speed limiter removal without TRE?

15K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Gixxerdevil2019 
#1 ·
I know the TRE removes the speed limiter. I don't want to go that path. Is there another way to get rid of the limiter?

#4 ·
jeffw said:
At 186 mph in 6th gear the ECU shuts down the #2 injector.....

Three ways to stop this:

1) Never let the bike into 6th
2) Instal a ECU w/o a limiter
3) JSD

BTW, a stock gsxr-1000 will not go 186 mph.
So I'm curious. Will going -1 tooth front sprocket allow the bike to hit in the 180's in 6th gear since you should be able to pull redline with it or is arrow dynamics playing a factor?

#5 ·
02GIXXER said:
jeffw said:
At 186 mph in 6th gear the ECU shuts down the #2 injector.....

Three ways to stop this:

1) Never let the bike into 6th
2) Instal a ECU w/o a limiter
3) JSD

So I'm curious. Will going -1 tooth front sprocket allow the bike to hit in the 180's in 6th gear since you should be able to pull redline with it or is arrow dynamics playing a factor?
No going -1 up front you will loose top speed. Arrow dynamics does play a role. You will need what 170rwhp just to hit 190?

#6 ·
WORK WITH ME PLEASE PEOPLE....

it is AERO not ARROW.... repeat after me A E R O

Reactions: Jubei1134
#7 ·
ViperSTD said:
WORK WITH ME PLEASE PEOPLE....

it is AERO not ARROW.... repeat after me A E R O
Sorry Aero

I don't think you'll lose top end going down 1 tooth since you can't pull redline with stock gearing anyway. I did this on my old 95 CBR900RR and gained a couple mph by going up +2 on the rear. Your right though at some point you will loose top end, but I think it would take more then -1. Maybe adding -1 front & +2 rear would really lower the top end. Need to look at Jeff's chart to see. I know I still read 186mph on my speedo, of course it's uncorrected still. Anyway I don't go top end much and I wasn't sure if these bikes had the hp to get to 186mph with gearing. Guess not though.
Thanks

#8 ·
jeffw said:
My one does an indicated 299 km/h = 186 mph fairly easily. My speedo is 6% optimistic which results in a genuine speed of 281 km/h = 175 mph.
Do you think it would be a good idea to fit a 18 teeth front sprocket? This should get my speedo spot on.
BTW what's the biggest front sprocket to fit the bike without risking damage to the casing?

#9 ·
You will never know exactly how fast you are going by using the speedometer in top gear near redline because you have some wheel spin. The wind resistance is too high and the road surface imperfections cause the rear wheel to slip.

#14 ·
Apart from this thread being 15 years old
just because your tach SAYS "186" doesn't necessarily mean it's telling the truth
As brilliant as those Japanese designers are, they can't make an accurate speedometer to save their lives

MCN measured the topspeed on the K5 at 178mph
Gearingcommander.com calculates the mechanical final drive to 172 mph (though not at max RPM, but max RPM != most power anyway)

#15 ·
"they can't make an accurate speedometer to save their lives"
They can but purposely set them to read high. This was discussed at length years ago. There's only one sensor for the speedometer and the odometer. The odometer tends to read dead on (depending on rear tire circumference) but the speedometer reads high. That means that the error is in the cluster and is there by design. Ditto tachometer. There are various speculated reasons for this. Unfortunately the cluster has not been hacked and until it is, either the speedometer or the odometer can be corrected, but not both.

#17 · (Edited)
As I recall, an old trick is possible on clusters that read in KPH or are switchable between MPH and KPH. You use a SpeedoHealer, etc. to apply a big correction so that the KPH reading is the MPH value. That will allow you to see the speed up to 299 MPH, assuming that you somehow have the power to exceed the 178 or so that the standard engine has. But there are significant downsides. The odometer reading will be worthless and temperatures will be displayed in °C instead of °F.

P.S. This is another reason to hack the cluster, i.e. there's just some logic in it that limits the displayed speed to 186 MPH/299 KPH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.