Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone dynoed a stock 2004 GSXR1000. I was just having a look for some power figures and all I could find on the net was "claimed peak horsepower". Also can anyone help me understand a little bit more about gearing? For example 32/26 (1.269:1) as compared to 29/24 (1.208:1).

·
Registered
4,712 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
my 03 dynoed a wopping 148 before custom tune with a yoshi.now i have a arata but havent been back yet so hopefully its going to be better.was told with the arata full should b around 159-162 but i might be putting webs in so it should be more.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got mine dynoed with a bolt on yosh TRS pipe and got 150hp. Then a stock 05 1K went and he got 155hp. So that day wasn't the best for dynoing bikes because everyone was reading 5-7 hp lower then what they tested before or thought their bikes should have. I figure I should be at 157 hp on a good day with just the pipe. Now I have the pcIII, JSD mod, and a K&N air filter add since then so I would really like to know where I stand now. So for best results pick a good day to duno it. That's one thing that can change your number by a few hp. Here's a chrat from Sport rider.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I notice on my K6 1000 that on a cooler day it seems to take off a lot better than on a hot day. I was just doing research on the bikes and all I could find was the K4's claimed HP is 166HP yet alot of later bikes dont even seem to be making those figures.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
I thought that by now, most folks would know the difference between "claimed" and measured HP figures. A manufacturer would post HP numbers gleaned from tip-top production engines on the bench, for marketing purposes. Yamaha and Kawasaki are famous for this. Those would be dyno numbers measured at the output shaft. A better measurement, and inevitably one that the real world uses, is HP measured at the back wheel, that takes into account inertial losses from the gearbox, chain drive system, wheel etc, that typically accounts for a difference of 10 to 14% over HP measured at the output shaft.

Suzuki has stopped releasing "claimed" HP outputs for some time now, because of the negativity surrounding such figures. That makes sense for production machines that may show a variance in output from unit to unit, and over different markets that have their own peculiar limitations such as available fuel quality, emissions equipment, ground altitudes etc.

I wouldn't worry about those numbers. Dynos are engine tuning tools, that allow a tuner to extract the maximum safe output for a given application. And no two dynos or bikes will ever read the same, so paper comparisons are virtually useless.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My 03 with an 05 stock pipe and PCIII put down 144hp and 74.2 lbs TQ without ram air and a dirty K&N. Same day, A guy with an 04 1k put down 142hp with a hindle and no PCIII. The stock 03 R1 put down 130hp (poor guy)

I almost forgot, they guy that runs the dyno said that mine was average and that for that year a good one puts down 148hp and a bad one 142hp.

·
Registered
445 Posts
This is the stats I got from www.suzukicycles.org

Overall Length: 2 045 mm (80.5 in.)
Overall Width: 715 mm (28.1 in.)
Overall Height: 1 133 mm (44.6 in.)
Seat Height: 820 mm (32.3 in.)
Wheelbase: 1 410 mm (55.5 in.)
Ground Clearance: 130 mm (5.1 in.)
Dry Weight: 168 kg (370 lbs)
Engine type: Water-cooled 988 cc inline-4, DOHC, 16 valves. 162 hp (119,5 kW)/ 10.800 rpm, 120 Nm/ 8,500 rpm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.