Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
.............OG
37,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking for some type of speakers to install in my helmet. and i want to leave a headphone type jack exposed so i can just plug a walkman or radar detector into it. i want ones that won't be pushing into my ears..

i guess something like what chatterbox uses (i think)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hey hunter......
I never have seen a chatterbox or anything but I have been looking for the earphones that the DPS cop gave me to take my riding test,,, they were like thin and flat and had velcro on the outside of the earphone,,( I guess you could get velcro and put it on the ear piece of the helmet to keep it in there) and it just went between my ear and the helmet,, It never moved and it had a little pigtail that came off the earphone that had a small square jack to plug into a walkman or in this case a CB radio..and damn it was LOUD.....they would be IDEAL.!! Ive been looking for them everywhere like police surplus places, army surplus,,flea markets,, and cant find them,,,PERFECT for riding, since they were flat,no pressure on the ears. And they were easy to put in after or before the helmet was put on.
Just my 2 cents.. hope it helped..

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
could you goto the shop where you took your test and aask where they got them from and see if they will give you the hook up? Just a brain fart. Ill ask around denver also i know we have bike cops to.

·
Banned
19,349 Posts
http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store

Select "music and audio" under the Navigating heading.

Etymotic ER-4S Earphones

These are the absolute best way to eliminate unwanted ambient sounds while directing audio into your brain… anytime and anywhere. For comfort during long listening periods on the road, there is no better way to enjoy audio. $247.00

Hit the "Next Page" button & you'll find the cheaper options:

Mini Blasters Helmet Speakers

Great fidelity and low profile make these the ideal speakers for helmet installation. Works great with any personal stereo and gives you a loud clear sound. Recommended for use with your favorite music player. Easy to install Velcro attaches them to your helmet liner, or see Philosophy on Music Systems for Sportbikes, page 106, for suggestions on more integrated helmet installations. $35.00.

Check out these guys paper catalog, too. It's free & it's pretty cool.

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: torquemaniac ]

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
My system seems to work great and its cheap too.

Go buy a pair of headphones for a buck at any cheapo store. They need to be the mini speaker type, not the ear bud type.

Take them apart so all you have it the actual speakers and the wires coming off of them.

Then take out the cheek pads for your helmet and remove the outer cover.

Insert the speakers where your ear would typically be.

Replace everything, adjust for your liking, and VOILA, instant music.

I did some extra wire cutting and splicing so that I have a little jack under the back of the helmet which I plug a wire into and run down the inside of my jacket and arm to where my MP3 player is clipped to my wrist.

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
i have the same set up on my other helmet and i had a cd player under the seat but i don't use it anymore until i get an mp3 player anyone know where i can buy a cheap one?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Just epoxy a set of 15's to the tank and tail. Should work great. Another thought is that you could make you entire tail a box for one good sub. I think someone should try it.

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PDG:
define cheap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

under $80 bucks

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Hahaha...i think it would be pretty damn funny if someone mounted some real speex and a sub on their bike. I always use earplugs, but i'd like to see someone try it.

As for the headphones...I found a pair of headphones (cheapo deals from kmart or something) that wrap around your ear (really just ear-buds with a stronger hold on your ear). THey hold on when you put your helmet on and dont need to be mounted.

I find they're a bit weak and struggle to tunnel through earplugs, but they manage when the CD player is cranked up. If there were some kind of amplifier out there, they'd be great.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Guys..I use these headphones....only ones I found that stay on your ears when you slide the helmet on...I have it connected to an mp3 player (only thing that will play music without skipping..lol) and it works great...never ride without music!

·
Registered
391 Posts
like the previous post said, tear apart a pair of headphone speakers(not buds). i left the adapter hanging out the bottom of the healmet. then velcroed a creative labs micro muvo n200 mp3 to the left side of my helmet. works well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Im just waitin for the Ipod w/ wireless ear pieces

·
Registered
294 Posts
Im just waitin for the Ipod w/ wireless ear pieces

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here is what I have. Absolutely love them. Tried the chatter box speakers and I think they are the worst speakers ever to listen to music out of! It was so distorted. You could hear voice just fine, music was a different story.

I tried these:

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=17534&cat=337&page=2

Didn't like them at all. They sounded really good and blocked out the background noise pretty good, but they hurt like hell with your helmet on. That plastic piece would get smashed on the inside of your ear.

Tried sony ones and a few others, no luck. Until I found these:

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=437&subcategory=441&product=14702

I have had them for about 4 months now and no problems! Don't even know they are there, they don't stick out past the side of your ear, and it comes with a lot of accessories. They sound really good too. They are the by far the best ear bud I have used with my helmet. I would recommend them to everyone! The 100 bucks was worth it!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Probably, but you aren't going to get super high quality either way with all the noise. It mainly depends on if they are loud enough.

I know you get what you pay for but sometimes cheap works well enough. If they are really crappy then the DIY method sounds like the best bet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bourgeois said:
Probably, but you aren't going to get super high quality either way with all the noise. It mainly depends on if they are loud enough.

I know you get what you pay for but sometimes cheap works well enough. If they are really crappy then the DIY method sounds like the best bet.
I hear ya, I started thinking of a way to do mine without having to put earbuds in and out. Kinda gets old but, I like listening to my music and can feel the Revs of the Engine, rather then hear it for 45-50 minutes straight. I work around helicopters, I am already going DEF!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts