Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading around and haven't been able to find super clear information on this - is it possible to replace the plug wires for these coils, or do the entire coils need to be replaced? I was taking off the head to check valve clearance and one of the boots pulled off the wire. I know I can get an NGK splice, but $10x4 + $25 for wire = $65, and I'm getting into the realm of just spending $120 on the new coils and new wires.

ALSO, what wires could one replace with? Nobody in Seattle seems to just sell bulk 7mm wire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it's just the Plug boot you should be able to screw the boot back on. Trim off a little of the HT lead to get to decent cable then screw it back in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thank you. I am an idiot and in testing to see if I can replace the wires I snapped one of the clips off the coil that holds the plastic retainer on. Thankfully there are still 3/4 and it looks like it will hold fine. GOOD NEWS, THOUGH, it is confirmed that one can swap wires on the coils!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep those clips can be difficult not that I've tried it but apparently you need to heat them with a hot air gun to get them pliable to come out

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh. Well here's hoping 3/4 will do the job. Otherwise I'll have to give up and grab the dyna coils. Honestly I've been chasing problems on this thing since I bought it. Taken it in to have the carbs rebuilt twice, reassembled and checked them myself 3 times now, and that didn't solve it. I'm thinking it's time to just bite the bullet and replace the ignition, just to verify that isn't the cause. Readjusting valves first, and doing one last full rebuild of the carbs to be sure, but then I'm going to make sure it's not electrical.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bumping really quick to ask what NGK plug caps you guys use with this? I snagged DR9EIX plugs just to keep life simple, and considering the plugs are resistor type it seems like I can switch to some NGK non-resistor type caps?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Bumping really quick to ask what NGK plug caps you guys use with this? I snagged DR9EIX plugs just to keep life simple, and considering the plugs are resistor type it seems like I can switch to some NGK non-resistor type caps?
you want to keep resistor-style caps on the bike. it won't hurt to run a double resistance setup, im doing just that on my '86. I was wondering if it would impact performance but it does not, if anything the extra resistance helps by reducing noise throughout the setup. you shouldn't have to replace your OEM caps, if need be you can take them apart

·
Registered
95 Posts
Typically you only need one resistor element... resistor plug, resistor cap, or resistor wire. More than one will reduce spark energy. (Using one also reduces spark energy a bit, but is usually not noticeable in normal street use.) How much it reduces will vary depending on the ignition/coil setup. Depending on what else is going on it can be noticable or not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm ok. That makes sense. Are graphite core wires also resistor? Right now I have stock caps, Iridium plugs (which are only available in resistor type), and graphite core wire. Switching to dyna coils. If I were to switch out the caps, what are the options?

·
Registered
95 Posts
IIRC all graphite core will have some suppression but unless its listed as such I would assume it will not act as resistance element. I have been eying those mini coils for my '86 7/12 build cause there is so little room under the tank now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Oof. £65, eh? I could get Dyna wire for $20, so that's about $50 for 4 caps. I'm pretty tempted to just do the Brass Rod Mod instead...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts