Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum, but am restoring my son's 1986 Slingshot which has stood idle for over 10 years. All going reasonably well - but I cannot find the right spark plug socket. Does anyone know a make and size (UK) that will fit the old NGK D9EA plugs? Socket sizing is clearly a dark art to which I am not privvy - for instance I have bought two at 14mm - one is too fat to go down the access hole, the other is just tiny and won't even fit some very small plugs out of another bike. I'm sure I need a thin walled one - but which?
Many thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to be off-grid for a few days Javadog - working on daughter's house. Yes I tried the socket in the bike's toolkit, but no luck. I think that at some time there has been an engine change and it looks as if the access holes to the plugs on this one are kind of 'wasted'. If I could be sure of the diameter of the nut part of the plug I'd order an ultra thin wall socket to fit - but that's the problem - sizing is not consistent. See the attachment (below) - both marked 14mm but completely different. The small one is tiny, and the larger one won't go down the hole - nightmare!
Liquid Cosmetics Circuit component Cylinder Office supplies
Liquid Cosmetics Circuit component Cylinder Office supplies

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,933 Posts
I have a hard time believing that both are 14 mm sockets. Markings aside, the one on the right looks more like 24 mm. I have a Craftsman 44418 that has an OD of 19.55 mm. It should work for spark plug service. Genius lists the major dimensions of their sockets here. Their standard deep socket, page 127, has a 19.8 mm OD. Their impact deep socket, page 34, has a 22 mm OD. Other brands should be similar. Typically a spark plug socket is a deep socket with an insert and a deeper bolt head clearance dimension. Snap-On's S9714MK has similar dimensions to my Craftsman, but at a god-awful price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a hard time believing that both are 14 mm sockets. Markings aside, the one on the right looks more like 24 mm. I have a Craftsman 44418 that has an OD of 19.55 mm. It should work for spark plug service. Genius lists the major dimensions of their sockets here. Their standard deep socket, page 127, has a 19.8 mm OD. Their impact deep socket, page 34, has a 22 mm OD. Other brands should be similar. Typically a spark plug socket is a deep socket with an insert and a deeper bolt clearance dimension. Snap-On's S9714MK has similar dimensions to my Craftsman, but at a god-awful price.
Hi Bill - thank you so much for your guidance on this, it was a great help; and even better I was buying some brake fluid from our local bike shop and chatting to the guy, and he lent me a box spanner (off a BMW) that fitted perfectly. The plugs were ok to so I cleaned them up and gave each cylinder a squirt of WD40 so that when I turn her over for the first time in well over 10 years, the pistons should slide up and down nicely.
Thanks again and keep safe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spark Plug Size.
This chart says, NGK D9EA has an 18mm Hex. and 12mm thread.
Hi Craig - as I wrote to Bill I'm very grateful for your guidance on this, it was a great help; and even better when chatting to the guy in our local bike shop, he lent me an 18mm Hex box spanner (off a BMW) that fitted perfectly. The plugs were ok too so I cleaned them up and gave each cylinder a squirt of WD40, so that when I turn her over for the first time in well over 10 years, the pistons should slide up and down nicely.
Thanks again and keep safe

·
Registered
178 Posts
So I've been on a search for a socket that will reliably hold the spark plug in place both install/removal. One confirmed solution that I just got and tried is the motion pro socket. I can shake this thing up and down pretty hard and it doesn't come out. There may be other solutions but this is the first one I bought that works.

Finger Gas Thumb Auto part Nail
Font Material property Electric blue Rectangle Label

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I have a couple craftsman 18mm deep wells that I turned down the OD on, to fit into the head. And glued a piece of rubber hose into the inside. That motion Pro piece looks pretty nice though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts