Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me for my horrible English .
I'm a new member of this majestic Gixxer forum ,I'm Italian ,I've a GSX-R1100M ( 1991 )and I'm overhauling it.
I'm changing the camshaft with Yoshimura stage 1; carb tunung by Factory stage 3; air filter BMC race ; ignition advancer Yoshimura ; exaust 4-2-1 by Termignoni .This is my 1st tuning .If there someone who can give me some suggestion or counsel ....
Thanks very much .

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
fairly straightforward stuff.....you have to be careful installing the cams, as the potential for damaging the engine is fairly high if you put them in the wrong way.

hopefully you've got the service manual....that helps tremendously.

is that a single bmc air filter, or individuals? a stage 3 jet kit (carb tuning kit) is meant for use with individual air filters, and not the stock airbox. however, that jet kit may be stage 1 and stage 3 in which case you'd just use the smaller main jets supplied with the kit.

i'd advise replacing the exhaust gaskets if the exhaust currently on the bike has been removed and reinstalled a few times and the gaskets never replaced. otherwise you'll get an exhaust leak at the headers that'll make annoying crackling and popping sounds on decel...

not sure if this is the case with your bike in particular, but some gsxr1100's of that era meant for certain markets were artificially restricted by suzuki. they fitted stock exhaust canisters with smaller outlet diameters, and put webbing on the intake boots to reduce intake area and reduce power.

while you have the carbs off, take a look at the intake boots (the manifolds bolted to the cylinder head where the carbs go). the openings should be large and circular, with nothing partially blocking the intake ports. if your boots have extra rubber partially obstructing the intake ports, remove the boots and carefully cut out the restrictors with a knife....sand the cuts to get them smooth.

if you have specific questions, go ahead and ask, we're here to help.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
sounds good....but don't polish the intake ports....leave it the way it is. if you polish the intakes, fuel droplets will pool up and be harder to combust. you can polish the exhaust ports, but don't do the intakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much, Jeff .
The air filter are four,in pairs.I've just removed the air box.
On carb I've installed the follow components:
pilot jet size #42.5
needle size #0988h-68x_2.9ct / 2nd to #4 pos from top
slide spring size #335-43-23-41
float height 15mm (I hope to do a good work... )
main jet size #155 ( original is 125 ;main jet supplied #150, #155, #160 )
fuel screws 2.5 turn, to start
the manual instruction on Factory recalibration kit say: With 40mm carb set (ok)
open carb w/ individual air filters(ok)
use with aftermarket exaust (ok)
factory ignition advancer recommended (ok)
Also I'm polishing the induction and exaust vent.
Ciao e tante grazie ancora .To next mail.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I personally have found polishing on the older Gix hinders it. port it but dont polish it as the air needs the roughness to increase port velocity. Go all out and use epoxy..oversized valves..5 angle valve job..talkin some serious FLOW! Make sure you dial in those cams right and I would upgrade to a APE manual cam chain tensioner..but thats me! Best of luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff, do you speak italian just a little ?
Now I'm stopped with overhaul cause I've take the motor head to a meccanical officine for grind the base of head and rectify, if necessary, the valve.
I've forget to tell that I'll change the brake line with new by "fren tubo" steel-glad plait;I'll replace the windscreen whit a darkzero-gravity and I'll paint personally the fairing with a new grafic and colors .I hope to do a good work .
Bye.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Como stai ZPK...I haven't used my Itailan in a couple of years but I'd love a reason to brush-up.

For anyone else giving him input...avoid abbreviations and try to stick to "standard" english. If ZPK's using translation dictionaries like I've tried to use...the meanings might not be the same.

It sounds like a fun project. Like the one I'm doing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hi There
I got the same bike. Watch out for worn emulsion tubes, and worn plastic slides/guides on the carbs. They wear pretty damn quick in my opinion, if the slides are worn badly, you wont get much mileage out of those nice new needles. I got a stage 1 dynojet kit and the mains are 126, those mains of yours sound very big, but maybe factory pro use different sizes?? I'm still working on mine, so if I learn anything new I'll be happy to help out. Watch out for the sidestand "kill switch", it can surprise you hee hee.(I bypassed mine)

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
sorry, zpk, i do not speak italian....i will try to make my english easier to understand.

you can try using http://babelfish.altavista.com to translate english to italian.

thehun, he's going to be running individual filters on his bike.....so his main jet sizes will need to go way up...

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
in general, the individual air filters sacrifice a bit of midrange for more top end, but how much depends on the particular bike.....individual filters work very well on the early oil cooled gsxr's, later models a little less so. however, they can be a bit trickier to tune, especially bikes with larger bore carbs (38mm and up).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts