Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change the oil today n the sump bung was absolutely death tight when i got it undone half the sump thread came out with it. Some people are so rough. Long story short the sumps getting taken off tomorrow by my motorbike mechanic to have a look at the damage and see what the best approach is to fix it. Dont like the idea of a helicoil holding all my oil plug in.
Cheers Tim

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Drill and tap is cheapest and effective.

Replacing the pan will cost a lotta cheddah, or a lot of time/beer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drill and tap is cheapest and effective.

Replacing the pan will cost a lotta cheddah, or a lot of time/beer.
Yea thats what the mechanic is talking about doing drilling and tapping it but looking inside it looks like a chunk of the nut inside the sump has broken off looks worse then just a stripped thread and if thats the case will possibly get filled with weld and then drilled n tapped. What is a new sump worth through suzuki.

Cheers Tim

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
New pan from Suzuki is $150 U.S. but a used OEM pan can be had much cheaper from eBay

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New pan from Suzuki is $150 U.S. but a used OEM pan can be had much cheaper from eBay
Ouch ill see what he can do repairing it first, all depends how much it's going to have to be butchered to repair. i don't want to wait 3-4 weeks for any parts to come off eBay. Will ring my local suzuki dealer in the morning and ask how quickly they can get me one.

Only had the bike 7 days got itchy feet wanting to put some serious miles on it.

To say the least I was pretty unhappy when i removed the bung today.

Cheers Tim

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
I assume it wasn't the stock bolt if it broke off inside... let's hope it's just the bolt. IF you have steel swimming around in there, taking the pan off may be the best. You can then inspect. I wouldn't bother welding and trying to tap the same size hole if you aren't taking the pan off. Just drill a larger diameter.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,628 Posts
Paying someone to weld and tap sounds like it's going to cost as much as a new pan, particularly since it's critical that the new hole is square with the sealing surface of the pan. If you're hot to ride, why not weld the hole closed, add oil, and off you go? When the new pan arrives you can remove and toss the old.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paying someone to weld and tap sounds like it's going to cost as much as a new pan, particularly since it's critical that the new hole is square with the sealing surface of the pan. If you're hot to ride, why not weld the hole closed, add oil, and off you go? When the new pan arrives you can remove and toss the old.
Sounds like a great idea thats dedication to wanting to get out for a ride.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it all fixed today my mechanic came n picked it up from home removed the sump an cleaned it and said damage wasnt that bad so he put a helicoil in it. No cracking was just a bit stripped.

Tried to find a replacement sump before he repaired it. None in new Zealand new. None in new Zealand 2nd hand. Found a 2nd hand one at a wreckers in Sydney for $145aud. Brand new one from Japan was $400nzd and 3 weeks wait.

I'm back on the road now so im grinning from ear to ear. Glad to have my bike back before the weekend

Cheers Tim

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,387 Posts
Find a friend in the US to get you one, then ship it to you as an "ashtray" so you don't pay the stupid taxes on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts