Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished testing 17 different ammos for my Ruger 77 .22 mag. I had never done such a large test of ammo before, it was pretty interesting. I was very surprised by how much variances I had between different rounds. I went from a best of 1/2" at 100 yards with CCI Maxi Mag TMJ 40 grain to a worst of 7" with CCI Maxi Mag +V JHP 30 grain. Interesting CCI made both the worst, & the best accuracy of the bunch. I never would have thought commercially made ammo would vary this much in how well it shot.

The Remington Premiere Gold 33 grain ballistic poly tip ended up being the best combo for my hog shooting. It will do very reliable 1" groups with no flyers & has 165 lb. ft. at 100 yards. It also shoots VERY flat, when sighted for 100, it's only 1" high at 50 yards & seems good in the wind also. The flat shooting made my life easier because I often shoot the hogs from the second floor of my house, now I can just center aim & shoot.

It was a lot of fun to do the testing, I just had to be patient for calm winds to keep everything accurate. The Hornady 30 grain V Max shot really well (3/4") but the littlest puff of a breeze would scatter the bullets out. The Remington seemed to resist breezes pretty well.

The biggest surprise was the Winchester (4 different loads) all sucked. Poor ballistics & poor accuracy. I'm wondering if it's China made these days? I called Winchester with some ballistics questions & they were quick to point out the ammo division was sold & is now seperate from Winchester guns.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's a startling variance for CCI. Interestingly enough the 22Mag I've been looking at specifically stated not to use 30 grain ammo with it, I wonder if there's an inherent issue with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts