Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just bought my first bike last Friday, an '89 750. Love it! I just found this site, and I hope you guys can help me with some questions.
On my bike, the clip ons are above the triple clamps. I would like them to go below. Some people have told me that on my bike they should be below already. Some tell me only the 1100's have them above. My bike has an 1100 body, but according to the guy I bought it from that is all.
Do I have to change my forks to do this?
Also, it was running fine for a few days, and now all of a sudden no gas is flowing through the shutoff valve, and it won't start. I checked the screen inside the tank, and it's clean. I applied vacuum to the vave through the hose coming from the carb. Still nothing. Any ideas?

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! You picked one of my fav's (88-89 750's) Yes the clip-ons should be below the tripple clamp. the privious owner probably put 1100 forks on it when he put the 1100 bodywork on it. The question you should be asking is "WHY?" Why the bodywork and fork change? Has it been crashed? If so how hard? The bars above the tripples is more comfortable and is still very sporty. As for your fuel delivery problem I can't help as I switched the petcock to pingles on both my 88 7-11 and my 90 1100 (and every other Gixxer that I've had).
Bones

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
Congrats on the new bike! You picked one of my fav's (88-89 750's) Yes the clip-ons should be below the tripple clamp. the privious owner probably put 1100 forks on it when he put the 1100 bodywork on it. The question you should be asking is "WHY?" Why the bodywork and fork change? Has it been crashed? If so how hard? The bars above the tripples is more comfortable and is still very sporty. As for your fuel delivery problem I can't help as I switched the petcock to pingles on both my 88 7-11 and my 90 1100 (and every other Gixxer that I've had).
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. The guy told me that he had changed the bodywork because he didn't like how narrow the 750 bodywork was. There are no signs of crash damage as far as I can see. Hopefully that's all there is to it.
I found a set of '93 600 forks on e-bay for about $180.00. Does anybody know if these USD forks would bolt in my '89?
Is the pingel valve worth it? I am seeing a lot of people talking about them. Which one would I need? I went to their website and there seem to be so many options.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
There are a lot of front-end conversions on the older bikes... my understanding is that as long as you get the triples and bearings along with it, it's a pretty easy swap from any gixxer to any other... I was looking at some USD forks for my 1100, but they're off a 750, and I checked the clearances in the upper fairing and it won't work unless I cut it or switch to the 750 upper... that's prolly the biggest reason for the different bodywork. ...I was also *told* that the USD forks are heavier than the conventional type...

as for the pingel, I was looking at that site a few days ago, and as far as I can tell, they only offer one petcock for the gixxers, and it doesn't have a reserve feature... they're also more expensive than just buying a new replacement from Ron Ayers.

[ 04-17-2002, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I don't know about heavier, but my gsxr 1000 forks that are sitting in the garage are pretty light

-Karl

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ballz750
I've had the 89 1100 front end on my 88 gixxer. The thing i did was mount the clipons under the triple. Very easy and a lot cheaper than buying a new front end , For the gap that willbe there i went to Orchard Supply and just bought some spacers. Through these on and no one ever noticed the difference , that they should have been mounted on top.
The bolt that screws through the clipon and the triples i just screwed it in from the bottom up and put a shiny nut cap on the tip that came above the triple
Looked nice , try that ,,like i said alot cheaper thanbuying a new front end that you dont have to
As for the petcock , grab the vacum line and suck through it ( dirty minds) if gas shoots out , its not the petcock.if it is do the same thing to the new one ,cuz some of them are defects.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check you breather hose on the top of the tank. Mine got cloged up once and almost no gas would flow from the tank unless i opend the gas cap.
I ended up just drilling out the one-way valve in the breather. problem fixed

weas

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excuse my ingnorance, but I'm not sure I quite understand how you put the clip-ons below the triple clamp.
What did you do about the couple of inches of fork tubes that stick out on top of the triple clamp?
Where did you put spacers on? The rounded surface of the clip-ons that you see from up top now would be against the flat surface of the triple clamp. Is that where you used spacers?
Any pictures?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can tell you this much.. I put a 93 USD 750 complete front end on my 86 GSXR750 and then later put that same front end on my 90 1100 with no issues at all. Its a direct swap. The ride hight was lowered a bit on both bikes but it was a welcome change and steering was nice and fast...

HTH

CT

Originally posted by FastCat:
There are a lot of front-end conversions on the older bikes... my understanding is that as long as you get the triples and bearings along with it, it's a pretty easy swap from any gixxer to any other... I was looking at some USD forks for my 1100, but they're off a 750, and I checked the clearances in the upper fairing and it won't work unless I cut it or switch to the 750 upper... that's prolly the biggest reason for the different bodywork. ...I was also *told* that the USD forks are heavier than the conventional type...

as for the pingel, I was looking at that site a few days ago, and as far as I can tell, they only offer one petcock for the gixxers, and it doesn't have a reserve feature... they're also more expensive than just buying a new replacement from Ron Ayers.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
156 Posts
Okey check it out,
You pull the clipons off, then you pull the triples off. So now you have just the fork tubes looking up at you , then you the original right clipon you slide it down the right fork tube, and the left clipon you slide it on the left fork tube. Dont reverse anything just slide them back down the tubes the way they came off.
Okay now there is that piece of clipon where the bolt goes through in order to bolt it to the triple right? as you look at it , it wont meet upo against the triple cuz there is like an inch gap right? This is where you put the spacer, I'm not talking about a regular round spacer it has to be the long enough to fit smug and round ,almost like a little cylinder.... or you can use a bunch of washers to fill the gap. But i prefer the other way...
Once you have the clipon and spacers there ,then you slide the triple back on , Pull the clipon up to meet the triple and slide your bolt from underneath the clipon towards you . It will screw into the triple from under the triple...
If you still dont get it ..give me a call i'm here in San Jose 408-894-5015

1 - 12 of 12 Posts