Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@Just_Nick just made me possibly believe that all hope may not be lost.

I was about to put my stock pipe back on because I'm planning a track day. On a previous trip to this track, the stock exhaust on my last K6 1000 with SET valve disabled barely passed sound check (apparently, it didn't but the guy let me on because it was close - Canada sucks).

My current bike has an awesome full Akra racing system but I know it's obviously louder than stock so it'll for sure cause a problem.

@Just_Nick said to shove a towel in it? :scratch Hmmmmmmmmmmm

But then that will be pretty visible to the guy with the DB meter hanging out at the business end of the pipe......

Anyone else have any old-school temporary solutions to let my bike pass sound check? I doubt a towel would catch fire revving it up for a few seconds but is there any other wisdom to be shared out here?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
@Just_Nick just made me possibly believe that all hope may not be lost.

I was about to put my stock pipe back on because I'm planning a track day. On a previous trip to this track, the stock exhaust on my last K6 1000 with SET valve disabled barely passed sound check (apparently, it didn't but the guy let me on because it was close - Canada sucks).

My current bike has an awesome full Akra racing system but I know it's obviously louder than stock so it'll for sure cause a problem.

@Just_Nick said to shove a towel in it? :scratch Hmmmmmmmmmmm

But then that will be pretty visible to the guy with the DB meter hanging out at the business end of the pipe......

Anyone else have any old-school temporary solutions to let my bike pass sound check? I doubt a towel would catch fire revving it up for a few seconds but is there any other wisdom to be shared out here?
I imagine a DB-killer insert from Akrapovic, or really any company that makes it in the proper diameter, would bring it down enough to be passable.

·
7,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a real racing system. The Evolution II full Ti / carbon fiber kit... no db killer available.

Maybe fabbing something with steel and fiberglass is the way to go, as opposed to shoving a blanket in there.

Or move to the states. But I doubt I'll qualify with Trump's new merit-based system :lol

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
This is a real racing system. The Evolution II full Ti / carbon fiber kit... no db killer available.

Maybe fabbing something with steel and fiberglass is the way to go, as opposed to shoving a blanket in there.

Or move to the states. But I doubt I'll qualify with Trump's new merit-based system :lol
I know it's a full system, that's what I have. But, you're just sticking it in long enough to kill the noise, not permanently sticking it in.

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
Just throw a stocker on there. IF you happened to go down, I'd rather smash the stock one anyways.

If a stock pipe with the exhaust valve open barely passed, then thats pretty damn quiet. I dont see hardly any aftermarket pipe being quiet enough.

WTF, is this track next to an old folks home or something?

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Maybe just me but I find it ironic that you have a full Akrapovič race exhaust but it wont allow you on the race track. Really, just me then?

·
7,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe just me but I find it ironic that you have a full Akrapovič race exhaust but it wont allow you on the race track. Really, just me then?
No, it's not just you. I find the concept stupid but I think it's up to the trakc day organizers, not the tracks themselves. Something about keeping the locals from bitching too much. Race weekends are events that support the local economy.

Track days not so much... but they make more noise because they go on ALL DAY LONG, all weekend.

Just throw a stocker on there. IF you happened to go down, I'd rather smash the stock one anyways.
Now THIS pushes the scenario waaaaaay into the territory of 'irony'... putting the stock exhaust back on because of noise at the track and in case I toss it :lol

By that logic, I should not be riding this bike at a track day at all. This mint bike's worth more than the exhaust.

Maybe I'll just buy another bike and keep this one in storage :biggrin

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
No, it's not just you. I find the concept stupid but I think it's up to the trakc day organizers, not the tracks themselves. Something about keeping the locals from bitching too much. Race weekends are events that support the local economy.

Track days not so much... but they make more noise because they go on ALL DAY LONG, all weekend.

Now THIS pushes the scenario waaaaaay into the territory of 'irony'... putting the stock exhaust back on because of noise at the track and in case I toss it :lol

By that logic, I should not be riding this bike at a track day at all. This mint bike's worth more than the exhaust.

Maybe I'll just buy another bike and keep this one in storage :biggrin
My pirdy stocker stays in the garage, street when I do ride it. The track bike is kinda pirdy too, but thats what I built it for, track. There's no expensive OEM body works on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I know it's a full system, that's what I have. But, you're just sticking it in long enough to kill the noise, not permanently sticking it in.
This is what I would do. Get a baffle for the road legal ones and stick it in there. Mine is just a slip-on so it has the screw, but it's so snug that even without it I doubt it would fall out.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,422 Posts
These noise restrictions suck. I need to measure how loud my M4 is. My local track doesn't have a restriction, but the National Corvette Museum track does. I really want to go back down there, but a 4 hour drive to find out I can't ride isn't something I want to do.

·
7,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
..... a 4 hour drive to find out I can't ride isn't something I want to do.

That is precisely the reasoning behind this thread. Except it's 3 hours to Calabogie Motorsports Park.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts