Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys need advice. My "racer" friend is putting tyres on my srad 600 for me.(he gets more discount than me at our local shop!) We have decided on Michelin pilot power 2ct for back, and he has recomended one "level" softer for front... I'm not sold on that idea, I suggested why not put same front and back. Anyway I gave him the benefit of the doubt and will ride it to see. I will be doing a few track days initially and then in a few months start racing in our "local/regional" classes. For background info I am no fast superbike racer but have been riding for 30 years(42 now) and have raced mx for 6 years.
any thoughts on my friends tyre choice?? txs

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
Lots of racers use a softer front, including myself. The main reason is that when you are pushing the grip limits, a hard(er) rear is more likely to slide before a soft(er) front and a rear slide is WAY easier to control than a front slide.

Also, the rear tire takes more "punishment" so being harder it'll last longer.

If you watch MotoGP, they usually show the tire choice of the front runners at the beginning - most often they'll have a softer front too.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Lots of racers use a softer front, including myself. The main reason is that when you are pushing the grip limits, a hard(er) rear is more likely to slide before a soft(er) front and a rear slide is WAY easier to control than a front slide.

Also, the rear tire takes more "punishment" so being harder it'll last longer.

If you watch MotoGP, they usually show the tire choice of the front runners at the beginning - most often they'll have a softer front too.
Did you watch the last race at Catalunya?

A handful of riders lost the front on left handers. Commentators speculated that it was because their front tire consisted of a harder compound on the left than the left side of the rear. This caused the rear to grip more and push on the front forcing it to wash out.

I guess what I'm getting at is; did the teams that chose this tire combo overlook a very crucial, yet basic aspect of motorcycle tires?

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
no. gp teams know what is up when it comes to tires.

if i ran the same compound front and rear on track, iwould either kill the rear tire too quick, or be making an unnecessary step down in front grip.

some tires are harder on one side for particular track use like daytona. grip and longevity are inversely related and race teams on 2 and 4 wheels always hve to ask if they want lots of grip for a short time, or reduced grip for a longer time. wsbk and gp worry about tires way less than endurance racers or f1.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point now that you mention baxter.. I think cruxlo was one of them, just in front of rossi on lefthander...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts