Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to who here has stepped up from a 600 to a 1000 and hasn't regretted it at all?

Next year I may be looking at picking up one of the new 2006 1000's (that black/'red is just SCREAMING my name).

Now.. This wouldnt be my first bike at all. I've done my MSF course stuff back in the day, currently am riding around a k5 600 (not my first bike).

My first bike (wasnt mine but was given to me by a buddy 3 years ago) was an SV650 that I had a ton of fun on and learned the basics. I then picked up this K5 600 last year (November) and just am not fully satisfied with it's power delivery. Now, I'm no "hard headed squid".. I've had my tumble before and would like to not repeat that.

I may just look into the 2006 750s(whenever those are released) but am I going to be waisting my time and $ in just jumping up 150CCs?

I may just look at re-gearing the 600 but I've riden my buddies k4 600 (-1/+2) and it just didnt give me what I was looking for. I guess my final two questions are.. Has anyone picked up a K5 1000 after riding around on a 600/750 and just asked themselves "what the fuck have I done?" after leaving the dealership? How does the k5 1000 feel below the power range(8000RPMs or so)? tame like a kitten??

any help would be greatly appreciated.. Ii've searched as well but just havnt really foudn what I was looking for.

Oh yeah, and I aint afraid of no frame snappin' either..

·
Registered
686 Posts

How does the k5 1000 feel below the power range(8000RPMs or so)? tame like a kitten??
Feels awsome, more like a wild tiger!
Seriously, the bike just rocks across the power band. The only issue you may find with the power delivery is that the stock setup is a little rough coming off idle. This issue has been discussed here and in the mags so you may want to do a little searching for further details.

I personally don't have much of an issue with it as I prefer to do my hard riding after I have already come from a dead stop!
Plus, with a few upgrades, this minor problem is easily solved.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Re: So who here has succesfully stepped up from a 600 to a 1

ive been riding 4 years on 600cc
yzr600r, gsxr600, fzr600, and F4i
i just bought a 1000 last week =)
so far so good.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I currently have both the K5 1000 and the K4 600 and the K5 is just awesome. I love both bikes, the 600 is a great handling bike that I use track only now. The 1000 is loads quicker and a ton of fun. I am taking the K5 to Jennings GP for track day tommorow. This will be my first trip to the track with the K5. I can't wait to see how she handles. I will post back. has anyone ran the stock Bridgestones at track yet............how are they??

·
Registered
41 Posts

just traded my 6 for a 1000 last week. had the 6 about 3 months.

·
Registered
104 Posts

My first bike was a 600 and I had it for three months then on the a K5 1000. Love it, wouldnt trade it or go lower for anything

·
Registered
466 Posts

With the K5 1000, it was the easiest transition to make. I had been riding my 02 R6 for over 3 years agressively at track days so I felt I would not be over my head with the K5 1000. After a couple of weeks on the K5 in stock form, I did a 520 conv and went 2 teeth up in the rear and also changed the throttle tube to an R1 to get even more power down in the lower rpms. Just shows how easy it is to ride this bike from the factory.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Ive rode many 600's, they handle awesome, but if you want raw power and balls to the wall power, get a 1000. You wont regret it, the K5 feels like a 600 with hayabusa power, I love it.

·
Registered
167 Posts

I've been on a FZR1000, 02 R6, 01 748s, and now a 05 GXSR1000, and hoping in about 6 months to own a 05 999s.

I love my k5, the power is awesome.

·
Registered
919 Posts

i never owned 600s... first bike was a superhawk 996 my uncle let me ride, then i bought a 929rr, then my 04, now my 05 gsxr1k... aside taller first gear, there is absolutely NO reason why u couldnt ride it fast and comfortable right from the get go... go for it

and to the dude wantin to take his stock bridgestone 014's to the track - DONT... recipe for disaster... you'll be trackin some lil 600 around a turn, go to pass, and slip and slide all over the place (leaves cool black streaks though)

get real tires ASAP - best handling investment u can make

·
Registered
27 Posts
i had a 99 gsxr 600 rode for seems like forever (5 years) loved that bike, bought the k4 1000 in 04 enjoyed it but when the k5 1000 came out i had to have it. bought the k5 1k in march and love it.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I had Ninja 6R for years then went to Katana 600 which I still can't figure out what got into me......guess it was the money. Traded the Katana in on an 02 GSXR 600 which I had for a year. Stepped up to an 04 GSXR 750 which got stolen after only having it for 8 months. I decided to step up to a 1k and got an brand new 04 this past December and absolutely love the power. The power is taking some getting used to but I think stepping up was the way to go.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I rode a '91 CBR600F2 for eight years before buying a brand new K3 1000 almost two years ago. Aside from my '01 Gixxer 600 track bike, I don't see myself purchasing anohter bike that's not liter-class. I LOVE having power everywhere, instead of having to rev the shit out of the bike like you have to do on the 600s and even some of the 750s.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I thank you for all the feedback guys.. if anyone else wants to add anything. Please do so.

It looks like Tuesday I'll be headed up to put a deposit down on a black/red 06 1000

I CANT wait.

If you guys dont hear from me after I take arrival, you know what happend

·
Registered
149 Posts
first off, why are you putting money down on a bike that won't be out for atleast 6 months when you could get an 05 now? anyway, last summer i had a new 04 gixxer 600. put about 8,000 miles on it. this summer i stepped up to the k5. the only thing i'd say is a 1000 will just be less forgiving. so as long as your ability has progressed to the point where you make few enough errors to be within it's narrower margin of error, you'll be fine. if you are still doing the same dumbass shit as when you started on a 600 (for example dick for throttle control) you'll get in over your head very quickly.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe you on that one.

The reason why is I'm in no rush to bial out on my 600, not to mention I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling over summer/fall so riding wont be all that available to me.

another reason is I'm just REALLY digging the red/black scheme, and won't mind the wait at all.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I currently own an 03 1000. I have had many sportbikes including numerous GSXR 750s but, this is my first inline four liter bike since an old school GPZ1100. The bike I had before this was a Ducati 996s. Really nice and had a few power bumps on it. I have also been riding motorcycles for 30 years, with alot of track time racing and track days these last few years. You would think that I would be a perfect candidate for a cutting edge liter bike but, I can't wait to get back on a smaller bike. I occasionally ride on the street and the 1k is awesome for that. But on the track it is like swatting flys with a sledgehammer. When leaned over past chicken strip territory, the last thing you want is a big hit of power. A bump or bobble combined with the 1k's power is all it takes and, you find yourself dealing with a big slide( which is ok if you are good at em) or high side (which is bad anytime). Another issue is the internals on the 1K make it feel much heavier at speed than a 600 with all that centrifigal force. I have ridden a few of the late 600's on the track and they just seem more fun for what I do. Maybe at 36 I just don't have the lightening reflexes to deal with the new 1ks. Want to trade my 1k for your 600 T-Rising?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts