Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've always been a small stature'd guy. I'm 5'10", 165 lbs, in highschool (about 8 years ago), I was in great shape, was on the swimming and diving team so I was very lean but muscular.

Well ever since I've slacked off, with only short stints in the gym and my diet has never been good, I've seen and felt my body slip into an unhealthy state.

I don't know my body fat percentage, but I'm sure its shockingly high. At my low weight, I currently have the beginnings of a beer gut and love handles forming, which has scared me into getting my shit together. My goal this year would be to maintain my current weight while replacing all this fat with muscle. I also quit smoking January of this year after about 7 years of smoking regularly (I'm 26 years old).

I'm following a mixture of diets I've seen here and around the web, basically incorporating 6 small meals a day, consisting of eggs, oatmeal, fish oil caps, vit. E, whey protein, chicken breast and brown rice, fresh greens, lots of water, and some extra virgin coconut oil. (I followed this thread: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123765 after reading a post by Spike here recently for my first trip to the grocery store).

This is literally day 1 and I'm already craving snacks in between the meals, or a refreshing pepsi :)vomit I know), but I've got some chicken in the oven while I watch the Blackhawks playoff game and figured I'd gather some advice/pointers from you guys here.

What are some good ways to mix up the diet using these ingredients to put a little variety in the diet? I'm not a great cook but I can always manage new things. What are some other foods I can incorporate into this plan to help me burn fat and build muscle?

Is this a good way to go for someone in my situation? In the short stints when I have hit the gym, I've basically only added protein shakes and creatine at times to my normal (horrid) diet, but I had great results, just couldn't keep to it with the insanity that is my life. I also work 50+ hours a week, so gym time comes at a premium, but I'm working on getting a set of free weights to use at home on days when heading out to the gym isn't feasible.

I want to feel healthy and get back to my old athletic self. I want to join a friend's softball league next year along with just overall feeling better about my physical appearance. Plus it will help on riding the gixxer of course when I get it to the track next year (fingers crossed). Thanks ahead of time for any responses as always.

·
Butt Stallion
491 Posts
Hmmm, I started a diet and training regime two years ago. went from 33% body fat to only 7%. If you do not mind some recommendations and examples of how I lost all the body fat and carved out my abs I will explain.

Diet and exercise are both equally important. I could not run at first so I walked 5 miles a day the first month. The second month I could jog, so I started jogging 2 miles everyday(I would only take a day off when I could tell if I ran I would end up not being able to run for a couple days), month 3 I started running 4 miles everyday, and I stuck with that amount to now, and continue it. When you get to the point you can run 4 miles in 30 minutes, in my opinion it is the perfect daily cardio exercise. You do not want to run more than that honestly, as you will notice people that overrun end up looking unhealthy.

I bench every 3 days, while doing 3 reps of 60 push up each day. At the begining I had to do those push ups on my knees. As for muscle training I am sure you know what to do.

For the Diet, I eat wild caught Salmon with skin and bones still in it each day.
This http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-trident-seafoods-royal-red-salmon-i166770

Also I eat raw Walnuts regularly, as it is a great source of fat, and if you are trying to lose fat while building muscle, a diet HIGH in healthy fats is essential. I snack on raw sunflower seeds(has to be raw, not cooked or flavored or drenched in salt). I use this Supplement(http://trysolutions4.com/), two cups of milk with two scoops from the supplement. I only drink milk with that stuff, and drink water any other time I am thirsty. The type of milk is important, has to he full fat, personally, I drink raw milk with cream.

Now I usually cook 3 cage-free Eggland's eggs sunny side up. Now that you got you're protien and fats, you have to chase it with complex carbs for better metabolism and absorbtion(so you can continue to run everyday). Brown rice is perfect for this, I steam a cup of brown rice(1cup dry) and when it is done melt some sharp cheddar into it for flavor and calcium/protien.

Fo snacking it is good to have fruits, like bananas, mangos, kiwi, carrots, celery hearts, tomatos.

Also BTW I eat one meal a day, and in the order that I listed it. I do not do that little meal multiple times a day thing, I just wait till I get off work, go for my run, and then gorge and feast for 2 hours. Eating that one meal a day also helped me stay in routine. It helps when you can really feel you're stomach being packed with food, which doesnt happen with scattered small meals. I go to sleep shortly after eating. Another benefit is usually when you are very hungry, food tastes better, so you will enjoy that one meal even more.

This is my basic routine for food and exercise everyday. But ultimately, what made it so successful was "Devotion". You cannot slide, or say it is only today, or skimp in any way. You cannot falter or compromise, you either continue from begining to end or you stop halfway. It all comes down to how much you want to be in good shape.

Keep in mind, nothing tastes as good as being thin and in great shape feels.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You eat salmon bones? You know they swim in their own shit right? :p as of late i perfer raw fish over cooked. The frozen tuna steak in vaccum sealed bag are a great way to go. Thaw then eat asap, add.gineger and wasabi.

Make sure you get plenty of fiber to expell those toxins sitting inyour gut.

·
Butt Stallion
491 Posts
You eat salmon bones? You know they swim in their own shit right? :p as of late i perfer raw fish over cooked. The frozen tuna steak in vaccum sealed bag are a great way to go. Thaw then eat asap, add.gineger and wasabi.

Make sure you get plenty of fiber to expell those toxins sitting inyour gut.
Wild Sockeye salmon is one of the highest source of Omega 3s, so what if they swim in thier own crap, what animal does not?

The brown rice and mangos I eat daily provide lots of fiber.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
+1 for salmon. There's lots of fish that provide you with protein and omega 3 acid. I eat salmon, snapper, dolphin (mahi mahi not flipper) and tilapia pretty regularly. Mix and match your proteins so your diet doesn't get stale. If you enjoy the food you eat you'll stick with your meal plan for good.
Peanut butter is also a good source of protein and good fats just don't overdo it and get the all natural one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
157 Posts
damn man that is alot of running you really only need to be running 2/3 miles a day. and of course eat healthy. but you should def be looking into drinking alot alot of water when your saying your feeling hungry and wanting to snack in between meals drink about a bottle of water and see how you feel might just be dehydrated sounds weird but about 75% of americans arent getting enought water. also you can snack on apples if the water isnt helping with the hunger anything healthy really unsalted raw almonds, grapes things of that nature. but mainly you wanna do something your going to be able to stick to not just a "diet" because if your just dieting down once you set your goal your not going to know what to eat just normally but keep up the good work and sorry for the run along sentences lol

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn man that is alot of running you really only need to be running 2/3 miles a day. and of course eat healthy.

but you should def be looking into drinking alot alot of water when your saying your feeling hungry and wanting to snack in between meals drink about a bottle of water and see how you feel might just be dehydrated sounds weird but about 75% of americans arent getting enought water.

also you can snack on apples if the water isnt helping with the hunger anything healthy really unsalted raw almonds, grapes things of that nature.

but mainly you wanna do something your going to be able to stick to not just a "diet" because if your just dieting down once you set your goal your not going to know what to eat just normally but keep up the good work and sorry for the run along sentences lol
Fixed :cheers

I've heard that stat more and more lately about most Americans being chronically dehydrated and I started to think about it..

Typical day for me would be a coffee in the morning, an energy drink around noon or a caffeinated soda (pepsi or coke), with some water in the evening, and I (lately) was really starting to drag and have very erratic energy levels. I imagine I was chronically dehydrated for months at a time lately :banghead

I work a physical job (not a desk job, i'm always moving around doing something or checking some equipment), so I need energy and my body is kind of trained to get an energy boost from 8am - 5pm, but mornings and after work I would immediately get extremely lazy and tired.

Thanks for the advice all, day 3 going well so far, snacking on apples and peaches and fruit/granola bars. The schedule of eating every couple hours is going to be extremely difficult with my job, but I'm trying to make it work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check out the YouTube channel "physiques of greatness." It's great help. Also the book "burn the fat feed the muscle."

·
Butt Stallion
491 Posts
It is true that thirst is often mistaken for hunger, leading to obesetiy. Also that is another reason I eat only one meal a day, kinda a pain to eat 6-8 small meals a day, especially with work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Eating one meal a day will completely screw your metabolism. Also, you should only eat 5-6 meals a day, not 6-8. Also you should count your macros. Starting with a 40/40/20 split is always a good start when beginning. You could taper your carbs off after your third meal or do a 3 day low carb (like 150g) followed by a 4th day of high carb (like 300g) to boost your metabolism back up.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
To the guys that only eat 1 meal a day... TOTALLY WRONG THING TO DO!
Not only is is super unhealthy, because there's no way you are gettin all the nutrients you need.
It also doesn't keep your metabolism going so will hinder weight loss, muscle building and general health.
Eat 5-6 meals a day and lots of water. Stay away from Breads, Sugars, salts and add some cardio in your routine. 15-20mins at the end of a workout is good enough.
Have. Good quality Whey Protein with some Carbs about 15 mins after your workout.
That's about as simple as I can explain it, it's not real hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I work 84 hrs a week in an Oilfield Camp and still find time for the gym and eating good during my 14 days at work.

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,171 Posts
Eat 5-6 meals a day and lots of water.
Having just lost close to 30 pounds eating 3 meals a day and drinking more diet soda than a human should consume, I would say if you can't follow this advice, it ain't gonna kill you. I do drink water with my workouts, but not much more than that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
It's_Just_Bob
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing