Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my bike on the stands while changing the front lines and pads I noticed my oil level was really high, over the full line completely covering the entire opening. So I drained some out until it was at the full line. After all said and done I rode the bike and checked the level again and it showed an empty opening, WTF??? did I drain too much?

·
Registered
872 Posts
The oil level reading is meant to be taken on an warm engine 2 minutes after shutting it off.

It is normal to show over the full line when the engine is cold.

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
The oil level reading is meant to be taken on an warm engine 2 minutes after shutting it off.

That's a new one on me. Thanks for the tip.

--Wag--

·
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cai
3,250 Posts

My service manual says "wait about three minutes". And I never had such case when on a cold engine the oil level is above F mark but on a warmed engine after few minutes below F mark. My wild guess that overflowing the F mark on a cold engine could be caused by malfunctioning check valve inside oil filter.

·
Registered
872 Posts
And I never had such case when on a cold engine the oil level is above F mark but on a warmed engine after few minutes below F mark.
I think you would find the oil level in the sight glass drops on a warm engine compared to the cold level.

I took these pics awhile ago to show the difference. The first pic is on a cold engine that had been sitting for a couple of days...

cold.jpg

The 2nd pic is after running the engine for a few minutes minutes then turning off and waiting 3 minutes...

3min.jpg

(the camera was set up on a small tripod and the bike wasn't moved at all between the two photos)

If people set the oil level on a cold engine it will actually be very low when checked correctly. And like the OP... if you have been moving your bike around in the garage even more oil will be draining from the top end back into the sump showing the cold level even higher.

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,092 Posts
My service manual says "wait about three minutes". And I never had such case when on a cold engine the oil level is above F mark but on a warmed engine after few minutes below F mark. My wild guess that overflowing the F mark on a cold engine could be caused by malfunctioning check valve inside oil filter.
the longer the engine sits the more oil drains down from the heads and cam, etc... on an engine thats been sitting for a long time all the oil finds its way to the pan.

oil expands when it is warm too.

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
When im cold i have it at below F line.. when i warm up and shut it off after 3 mins. then look im at the middle .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts