Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never liked having passenger foot pegs. They just seem unnecessary. I have had the left one off for a while, but wasnt sure about taking the right off since the exhaust is mounted to it. So after countless hours spent searching this site and the google, i decided to wing it and see if i could figure out a solution. Usually I am a measure once, cut 3 times kinda guy, but sometimes I do ok. I'm pretty proud of the way the bracket came out and love the new look.
What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Looks good as long as its strong enough. You have altered the leverage some and i cant see what its connected to but it looks cool- just double check. Paint it black. Nice job, it feels good to do stuff yourself!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
That is different and I didn't notice it at first, looks good.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you explain how it's not good? I have seen this mod before and haven't heard of any issues. I have seen other bikes where the foot pegs are gone and they did not even add a bracket like this. The passenger foot peg doesn't really support the exhaust anyways. Disconnect yours and see that it doesn't move at all. It's more so to keep the pipe from moving and possibly loosening up the bolts that actually hold on your exhaust.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
Kind of ugly, move it so it hides where the band was.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Can you explain how it's not good? I have seen this mod before and haven't heard of any issues. I have seen other bikes where the foot pegs are gone and they did not even add a bracket like this. The passenger foot peg doesn't really support the exhaust anyways. Disconnect yours and see that it doesn't move at all. It's more so to keep the pipe from moving and possibly loosening up the bolts that actually hold on your exhaust.
The end pipe moves and shakes around more than you think when on the move.

Laying the bracket down like that puts excessive leverage on it so it's not really a hanger at all. Plus, you have moved the clamp forward toward the inlet which will create even less support.

Your hanger does not seem heavy duty enough to last in that position.

It may be ok for a while but will eventually crack or break.

hope I'm wrong though OK

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
The end pipe moves and shakes around more than you think when on the move.

Laying the bracket down like that puts excessive leverage on it so it's not really a hanger at all. Plus, you have moved the clamp forward toward the inlet which will create even less support.

Your hanger does not seem heavy duty enough to last in that position.

It may be ok for a while but will eventually crack or break.

hope I'm wrong though OK
What he said.
Just looking at the pic, you can see it'll be stressed in ways it's not 'designed' to take.

There are solutions for no passenger pegs. Just get the right bracket for your bike / exhaust. EG my ratty old '06 has the correct hanger bracket, sans-pegs.

It was correctly engineered and will support the weight and jolts / vibration while riding hard. This shit will last.

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,713 Posts
That portion hanging past the muffler clamp is referred to as a cantilever design. They're used a lot, ex. airplane wings. They can look spectacular but they require careful consideration of the stresses or they can break off - sometimes spectacularly. Using a longer bracket so that the muffler is supported closer to the center is advisable. Also I can't tell but is the forward end of the bracket attached to the MC mounting screws or, if not, what? You ought to be using two screws, not one. The length of that lever arm will result in a fair amount of shear stress on the forward attachment point. Todd's bracket is a much stronger design and is generally the preferred method.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
It needs two bolts at the front attachment point to give it much up/down support. Even with that, the long lever arm and thin cross section is a weaker design and will flex up and down. That set up also provides little side to side support.

Take the black paint off, that will make it stronger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts