Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I noticed a puff of blue smoke coming from my exhaust when I give her some gas. I first noticed it when I was in my driveway and I blipped the throttle to maybe 4000 RPM. I was engulfed in a cloud of blue smoke. It didn't smell like burning oil, though. It's been really humid here lately, could that be affecting my A/F ratio so drastically that it's causing this problem? Do I need new plugs? I don't notice any drop in the oil level. The bike has 12,000 miles on it and I've had it since new.

any leads on where i should start diagnosing this issue?

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
blue smoke is generally an indication of oil being burned in the combustion chamber. when it happens on acceleration, it means oil is passing the piston rings. when it happens on decel, it means oil is passing the valve seals. i would suggest a compression and leakdown test to make sure all is good.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't noticed it on decel yet, but that's a little more difficult to diagnose while on the bike. I have plans in place to do a diagnostic dyno run with a sniffer and to do a leak down test if anything looks fishy. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I haven't noticed it on decel yet, but that's a little more difficult to diagnose while on the bike. I have plans in place to do a diagnostic dyno run with a sniffer and to do a leak down test if anything looks fishy. Thanks for the input!
Just curious..What kind of oil are you using?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AmsOil 10W40 full synthetic motorcycle oil and Suzuki filters. Changed after every 3000 miles or after a track day.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Thanks, i was just wondering because I had a friend switch from regular oil to full syn. [mobil one] and immediatly started smoking? He has a 04 with 8000 miles?

·
Registered
623 Posts
My '01 750 did the same thing except smoked on decel. The compression was 180 across the board and leak down was I think 2%. I switched to 20W50 Mobile 1. That helped a bit but still smoked. Have your shop do a compression and leak-down test to be sure. If it's not bad just ride it.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
if you have good compression and leakdown numbers, you can try going with a thicker oil to help with the smoking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts